Akhilesh seeks three more AIIMS-like institutes in UPMay 18th, 2012 - 1:06 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 18 (IANS) After initiating the legwork for opening an All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)-like institute in Rae Bareilly, the parliamentary constituency of Congress president and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Uttar Pradesh has requested New Delhi to open three more such institutes in the state.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, in a letter to union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, has underlined the need for such multi-speciality hospitals in Poorvanchal, Bundelkhand and Ruhelkhand, citing urgency for quality healthcare facilities for the poor in these backward regions.
With an AIIMS-like institute coming up in Rae Bareilly, around 75 km from the state capital, the central region will have a second super-speciality hospital after the Sanjay Gandhi Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGI) in Lucknow - while other regions will continue to suffer from lack of proper medicare facilities, the letter points out.
Yadav in his letter says that keeping in mind the distance of these areas from Lucknow and Rae Bareilly, it will be prudent that such hospitals be also opened in the three regions of the state.
The state government is already in the process of identifying land for the multi-speciality hospital in Rae Bareilly and as soon as it is done, the union health ministry will be informed to start the work on the hospital, the letter says.
- UP allots land for AIIMS in Rae Bareli town - Aug 13, 2012
- Work on Rae Bareli AIIMS to begin soon: Azad - Aug 09, 2012
- Land identified for AIIMS-like institute in Sonia's constituency - May 08, 2012
- Senior citizen dies of swine flu in Lucknow - Aug 22, 2012
- UP announces new industrial policy - Sep 04, 2012
- Swine flu patients swell to 56 in Lucknow - Sep 03, 2012
- Five more swine flu cases in Lucknow - Aug 23, 2012
- Lok Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Aug 30, 2012
- AIIMS-Patna to start this year, says Ghulam Nabi Azad - May 24, 2012
- Rajya Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Sep 04, 2012
- Upgrade to avert AMRI like incidents, private hospitals told - Dec 23, 2011
- Injured Arunima's condition stable, say doctors - Apr 19, 2011
- Incentive for fast completion of AIIMS-like hospitals - Nov 16, 2009
- With Rs.1,100 crore, AIIMS bags highest budget share - Mar 16, 2012
- New secretariat in Chennai to be made a hospital - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, bareilly, bundelkhand, chief minister, congress president, ghulam nabi azad, graduate institute, health minister, health ministry, healthcare facilities, india institute, legwork, parliamentary constituency, quality healthcare, sanjay gandhi, sonia gandhi, speciality hospital, speciality hospitals, yadav