AIIMS-Patna to start this year, says Ghulam Nabi AzadMay 24th, 2012 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 24 (IANS) Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad Thursday announced that the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) - Patna would start this year itself.
“I have directed the concerned officials to complete the remaining work of the medical college in the next two to three months. Hope that medical college would start this year,” Azad told media after inspecting the under-construction site of AIIMS-Patna here.
Azad said the hospital would take some time to be operational.
“By next year, the hospital would be operational,” he said.
Azad lauded the quality of materials being used in the construction of the AIIMS here.
“I am satisfied with the quality of materials.”
However, Azad warned the contractors engaged in construction of AIIMs that the government has decided to award and punish them on the basis of their work on time.
“If contractors engaged in construction of AIIMS across the country, delayed the work, the government would impose penalty,” said Azad.
“In case they complete work on time, they would be awarded,” Azad added.
Nearly ten days ago Chief Minister Nitish Kumar also visited the site and directed its early completion.
The central government in 2006 decided to set up six AIIMS-like institutes across the country, including at Patna, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Jaipur and Rishikesh.
In 2009, the government had further decided to set up two more AIIMS-like institutes at Raiganj in West Bengal and Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh.
- Land identified for AIIMS-like institute in Sonia's constituency - May 08, 2012
- Akhilesh seeks three more AIIMS-like institutes in UP - May 18, 2012
- Lok Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Aug 30, 2012
- Work on Rae Bareli AIIMS to begin soon: Azad - Aug 09, 2012
- Government proposing a new National Urban Health Mission: PM - Jun 30, 2012
- Incentive for fast completion of AIIMS-like hospitals - Nov 16, 2009
- Separate societies for six AIIMS-like institutions to be set up under PMSSY - Aug 26, 2010
- Cabinet gives nod to set up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- Rs.93 bn more for setting up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- With Rs.1,100 crore, AIIMS bags highest budget share - Mar 16, 2012
- Six AIIMS-like institutions to be registered as societies - Aug 09, 2010
- Six AIIMS-like institutions by end-2013: Azad - Feb 02, 2012
- Rajya Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Sep 04, 2012
- AIIMS gets Rs.1,000 crore in budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Lucknow doctors to head two new AIIMS - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, bhopal, central government, chief minister, construction site, ghulam nabi azad, health minister, india institute, jaipur, may 24, medical college, patna, rae bareli, raiganj, rishikesh, three months, uttar pradesh, west bengal