Agra doctors call off strikeMarch 17th, 2009 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, March 17 (IANS) Doctors protesting the alleged manhandling of a senior colleague here called off their two-day strike Tuesday after three policemen were suspended and an enquiry was ordered into the incident.
The doctors went on a strike demanding firm action against the policemen who, they claim, “went berserk and ill-treated Munishwar Gupta”, the director of the Kamayani Hospital here.
Gupta was allegedly manhandled and dragged away from his office by the police Saturday afternoon. He was released later.
The police Tuesday suspended the three policemen and initiated an enquiry into the incident.
Following this, the doctors returned to work and the hospitals and private nursing homes opened later in the day.
Earlier in the day, at a heated meeting of the Indian Medical Association some doctors wanted to continue with the strike till senior police officials came to the meeting and publicly apologised.
But later a decision was taken to call off the strike in the public interest.
Most privately owned nursing homes and pathological laboratories in the city stayed closed, while the junior doctors in the S.N. Medical College were sporting black bands as a mark of protest against the police highhandedness.
The city’s medical services were badly hit by the strike that started Saturday midnight.
- Agra doctors stay away from work second day in a row - Mar 16, 2009
- Agra doctors allege police manhandling, strike work - Mar 15, 2009
- Hundreds of Bihar junior doctors strike work - Jan 31, 2011
- Tamil Nadu doctors strike work over killing of colleague - Jan 05, 2012
- Private doctors strike work in Tamil Nadu - Jan 05, 2012
- Lawyers strike work in UP, demand security - Aug 21, 2012
- Protests erupt in Agra as botched abortion victim dies - Apr 29, 2011
- Senior citizen dies of swine flu in Lucknow - Aug 22, 2012
- Bihar junior doctors on strike, legislator's guards held (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Nurses strike work after assault by patient's kin - Apr 10, 2011
- Protests in Agra as abortion victim dies (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Junior doctors call off strike in Kolkata - Sep 28, 2010
- Five Rajasthan doctors booked for corruption - May 30, 2012
- Resident doctors' strike in Rajasthan hits medical services - Sep 06, 2010
- Ghaziabad cop suspended for illegally evicting doctor - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: colleague, enquiry, gupta, hospitals, indian medical association, junior doctors, march 17, medical college, medical services, nursing homes, pathological laboratories, police officials, policemen, protest, public interest, saturday afternoon