Adults with attention deficit disorder more creativeMarch 13th, 2011 - 12:14 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 13 (IANS) People who suffer from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more creative, says a new study.
Adults with ADHD enjoyed more creative achievement than those who didn’t have the disorder. Its symptoms include inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity.
“For the same reason that ADHD might create problems, like distraction, it can also allow an openness to new ideas,” says Holly White, assistant professor of cognitive psychology at Eckerd College in Florida, and study co-author.
“Not being completely focused on a task lets the mind make associations that might not have happened otherwise,” the Journal of Personality and Individual Differences reports.
White and Priti Shah at the University of Michigan gave 60 college students - half of them with ADHD - a series of tests measuring creativity across 10 domains. The ADHD group scored higher across the board, according to an Eckerd College statement.
The ADHD group showed more of a preference for brainstorming and generating ideas than the non-ADHD group, which preferred refining and clarifying ideas.
The study is a follow-up to one done in 2006, which focused on lab measures of creativity and found that ADHD individuals show better performance on tests of creative divergent thinking.
“We didn’t know if that would translate into real-life achievement,” says Shah. “The current study suggests that it does.”
- Adults with ADHD are more creative - Mar 12, 2011
- ADHD kids' academic grades influenced both by genes and environment - Apr 24, 2011
- Pesticide exposure may raise ADHD risk in kids - May 18, 2010
- Cell phone use in pregnancy affects foetus' brain - Mar 16, 2012
- Kurt Cobain, Oscar Wilde, Picasso 'owe their success to ADHD' - Feb 04, 2010
- Even moderate sleep loss could adversely affect kids with ADHD - Mar 02, 2011
- Lead exposure linked to ADHD in kids - Jan 29, 2010
- Stressed moms-to-be more likely to have unruly kids - May 08, 2011
- 'Faulty switch' behind mind wandering identified in kids - Jan 06, 2011
- ADHD and reading disability have common genetic influences - Dec 09, 2010
- Why kids with ADHD have difficulty in concentrating - Jan 06, 2011
- ADHD in childhood linked to depression in adolescence - Oct 05, 2010
- White Noise Boosts The Attention Of Inattentive Students - Oct 03, 2010
- Boosting key brain chemical cuts fatigue in mice - Dec 21, 2010
- Hand movements may give clues to ADHD severity - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: adults with attention, adults with attention deficit, adults with attention deficit disorder, attention deficit disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder adhd, cognitive psychology, creative achievement, deficit hyperactivity disorder, divergent thinking, eckerd, eckerd college, holly white, impulsivity, journal of personality, journal of personality and individual differences, life achievement, personality and individual differences, priti shah, study adults