Action against Punjab health officials for infant’s deathAugust 17th, 2012 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 17 (IANS) Acting on the report of an inquiry committee which found medical staff negligent, resulting in the death of an infant last month, the Punjab government Friday ordered the transfer of Jalandhar civil hospital’s medical superintendent and initiated action against four others.
Health and Family Welfare Minister Madan Mohan Mittal ordered that three staff nurses and one emergency medical officer of the civil hospital be charge-sheeted, a health department spokesman said here.
All health officials have been held guilty for being negligent in performing their duty.
A five-day-old infant died at the civil hospital after she was allegedly removed from the incubator as her parents could not deposit a fee of just Rs.200 at the Jalandhar civil hospital.
The Punjab government had ordered inquiries by the district administration and the health department separately.
Following the case coming to light, the Punjab government announced that all neo-natal services in government hospitals across the state would be free of cost.
The spokesman said that to prevent recurrence of such incidents and to improve child care in the state, 12 special new-born care units will be established during the year (2012-13).
“Fifty new-born stabilisation units will also be set up in all the district hospitals, sub-divisional hospitals and community health centres to provide specialized care to the newborn,” he added.
He added that all user charges for newborn and their mothers have already been waived off.
- After infant's death over Rs 200, Punjab makes neo-natal services free - Jul 27, 2012
- Infant dies after removal from Punjab hospital incubator, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- New-born baby boy found abandoned in Gurgaon - May 12, 2012
- Newborn's death: Rights panel seeks report in 15 days - Nov 03, 2011
- Second abandoned infant found in Gurgaon in a week - Apr 18, 2012
- 10 infants die in Andhra hospital - Sep 02, 2011
- Born weighing 450 grams, baby girl survives - Jul 26, 2012
- Bengal government orders inquiry into crib deaths - May 24, 2012
- Six more babies die in Bengal hospital - Nov 10, 2011
- Infant stolen from government hospital in Hyderabad - Aug 17, 2010
- Kashmir hospital chief removed over 368 kids' deaths (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Mom's voice perks up premature baby's condition - Mar 09, 2012
- Alert employees save 64 newborns in Assam hospital - Apr 21, 2012
- Baby allegedly dies after mother cleaned with acid - Nov 02, 2011
- Rare surgery saves 12-day-old infant in Punjab - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: community health, department spokesman, district administration, district hospitals, family welfare, government hospitals, health department, health officials, incubator, jalandhar, madan mohan, medical officer, medical staff, medical superintendent, punjab government, rs 200, specialized care, spokesman said that, staff nurses, year 2012