A simple hand wash can help halt respiratory virus spreadNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:24 am ICT by admin
This is particularly important for children because it will help to protect them as well as reduce the chance of passing viruses to other household members.
Using barriers such as simple face masks and gloves, separating people known to be infected are also useful means of containing respiratory viruses.
A multinational team of Cochrane Researchers reviewed many databases for scientific studies and found 51 that fitted their inclusion criteria.
“There is a strong indication that introducing hygienic measures around younger children can be a very powerful way of blocking spread, protecting them and the community they live in,” says lead researcher Professor Tom Jefferson from Rome, Italy.
The team also concluded that there was little if any evidence that expensive and uncomfortable N95 masks were any better than simple surgical masks. They were also left uncertain about whether adding chemicals that kill bacteria and viruses to soap made them any more effective at preventing transmission than normal soap.
“Many simple and probably low-cost interventions could help reduce transmission of epidemic respiratory viruses,” says Jefferson. (ANI)
- Basic hygiene 'more effective against swine flu than drugs' - Sep 23, 2009
- Farm visitors 'urged to wash hands using soap and water' - Apr 20, 2011
- Now, GM chickens that don't spread bird flu - Jan 14, 2011
- FACTSHEETS - Smallpox: in detail - Mar 25, 2010
- Insecticide-treated mosquito nets prevent Japanese Encephalitis - Mar 09, 2011
- How to protect kids this flu season - Jan 16, 2011
- Masks, hand washing can smother flu spread - Feb 01, 2012
- Long-term pesticide exposure is harmful: STM study - Jun 20, 2012
- Plasma could cure common cold - Dec 04, 2011
- Flu transmitted before symptoms appear, says study - Aug 30, 2012
- Vietnam testing avian flu vaccine - Feb 21, 2012
- Coming soon: A trap to trick pregnant mosquitoes! - Dec 26, 2010
- Pregnant women in China to be tested for HIV, syphilis and Hepatitis B - Mar 01, 2011
- Take zinc to shake off cold - Feb 16, 2011
- Media causing undue public anxiety about swine flu (Comment) - Aug 14, 2009
Tags: bacteria, cochrane, concluded that there, epidemic, face masks, household members, hygienic measures, inclusion criteria, interventions, multinational team, n95 masks, professor tom, researcher professor, respiratory virus, respiratory viruses, rome italy, scientific studies, surgical masks