A pint of beer is better than water after a workoutNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:16 am ICT by admin
In the study the participants were asked to run on a treadmill under stifling temperatures of 40C, until they were close to exhaustion.
Researchers measured their hydration levels, concentration ability and motor skills, after the students were on the point of giving up their physical exercise.
Half of the participants were then given two half pints of Spanish lager to drink, while the left were given water.
Both groups were then allowed to drink as much water as they wished to.
Garzon said the rehydration effect in the students who were given beer was ’slightly better’ than among those given only water.
He said that the carbon dioxide in beer helped quench the thirst more quickly, while beer’s carbohydrates replaced calories lost during physical exertion.
Dr James Betts, an expert in post-exercise rehydration at Bath University, said instead of being diuretic, beer helps in getting fluid inside the body.
“People think of alcohol as being a diuretic, but if you are already hydrated, a small amount of beer could be a way of getting the fluid in,” the Daily Mail quoted him, as saying.
Based on the findings, the researchers have recommended moderate consumption of beer, i.e. 500ml a day for men or 250ml for women, as part of an athlete’s diet. (ANI)
- Study blasts the idea of giving energy drinks to kids - May 31, 2011
- Drinking tea daily 'as good as water in keeping you hydrated' - Mar 28, 2011
- 'Kids dehydrate as they hardly drink during breakfast' - May 03, 2012
- Alcohol can help you solve riddles faster - Apr 12, 2012
- Dehydration could turn you cranky and confused - Feb 19, 2012
- 10-year-old British kids having alcohol problems - Oct 31, 2011
- Probiotic drinks 'cut chances of diarrhoea' - Nov 10, 2010
- Cheers! Drinking a pint of beer a day 'is good for your health' - Jan 14, 2011
- Britain's women soldiers told to drink responsibly - Jan 13, 2011
- New 'healthy' flavoured water has as much sugar as 3 doughnuts - Feb 21, 2011
- Drinking too much during race 'cuts runners' chances of winning' - Dec 21, 2010
- 1 in 6 Brits has sworn off alcohol - Jan 28, 2011
- Frequent tipple halves rheumatoid arthritis risk - Jul 11, 2012
- Drinking tea can be as hydrating as water - Jun 18, 2010
- How to beat a hangover after that Christmas party! - Dec 09, 2010
Tags: amount of beer, betts, carbon dioxide, concentration ability, daily mail, diuretic, dr james, exhaustion, half pints, hydration levels, medical faculty, moderate consumption, motor skills, participants were asked, physical exercise, physical exertion, pint of beer, professor manuel, rehydration