A new gel may prevent the HIV/AIDS infection in womenJuly 20th, 2010 - 7:55 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, July 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) There has been a major breakthrough in the prevention of HIV infection especially among women.
A new vaginal gel has proved efficient in preventing the HIV/AIDS infection in women. The gel decreases the chances of getting the dreaded infection and it is esp. helpful for those women whose sexual partners refuse to use condoms. The gel was tested in South Africa.
However researchers say the gel’s level of protection might not get it approved in countries like the United States and other European countries. But this does not discourage researchers who say the protection level can be improved.
To get the drug approved in the United States, the gel should be at least 80 percent effective in preventing new infection of HIV/AIDS. But scientists believe this target could be achieved by adding more tenofovir to the gel.
However another round of study will be required to confirm the earlier results. And on the other hand United States authorities say it is the first time that they have seen a microbiocide give any positive result in preventing spread of HIV/AIDS.
The breakthrough is significant because women who have unprotected sex are most likely to get infected with the virus. In South Africa, more than 30 percent of young girls get infected with the HIV/AIDS virus before the age of 20.
- Vaginal gel halves women's chance of getting AIDS - Jul 20, 2010
- AIDS Breakthrough Discovered For Women - Jul 20, 2010
- A Vaginal Gel Represents A Breakthrough In The War Against AIDS - Jul 20, 2010
- Vaginal gel 'can cut HIV risk by 39pct in women' - Jul 20, 2010
- Female-to-male HIV transmission risk doubles during pregnancy: Study - May 24, 2010
- Anti-HIV vaginal gel deemed safe for rectal use too - Mar 01, 2011
- First ever pill to beat HIV under FDA consideration - May 10, 2012
- CSD500: Erection inducing condoms developed - May 10, 2011
- Harnessing Technology to Empower Women - Jun 10, 2010
- Erection inducing condom 'CSD500' might soon be available in Europe - May 10, 2011
- Carla Bruni to visit Safdarjung Hospital to see anti-natal, HIV care procedure - Dec 06, 2010
- Anti-HIV gel fails human trials - Dec 15, 2009
- Not just a handmaiden: Critical role of social science in HIV Prevention Research - May 25, 2010
- Beware! You may be more vulnerable to hepatitis than you think (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 27, 2012
- HIV spreading among China's elderly: 80-year-old infected - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,