A million Pakistani kids to get anti-polio dropsJuly 16th, 2012 - 2:24 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 16 (IANS) Pakistan will administer anti-polio vaccine to nearly one million children in the militancy-hit tribal regions during a three-day national immunization campaign starting Monday, said officials.
Janbaz Afridi, deputy director of the Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) in northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, said 11 polio cases have been reported in FATA (Federally Administered Tribal Areas) this year, reported Xinhua.
Polio cases in tribal regions and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province have raised concern among local and foreign health officials despite a lot of money being spent on the immunization programme in Pakistan.
Officials said that nine polio cases have been detected in Khyber tribal region and one each from North Waziristan and South Waziristan Agencies.
The polio vaccination campaign was launched nearly two weeks after the Taliban group in North Waziristan announced ban on polio vaccination campaign to protest the US drone strikes.
Officials say that the Taliban ban will deprive thousands of children in North Waziristan, a main stronghold of the militants.
“We have completed all arrangements for successful holding of a three-day anti-polio campaign across the province and Federally Administered Tribal Areas,” Afridi said.
- Over 16,000 Pakistani kids not given polio drops - Aug 04, 2011
- Two held in Pakistan for refusing polio drops - Sep 21, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban bans polio vaccination - Jun 17, 2012
- 21 mn Pakistani children to get anti-polio drops - Jan 20, 2010
- New polio cases in Pakistan alarms WHO - Jun 10, 2012
- Six kids among 26 killed in Pakistan attacks (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- UAE sends food parcels to Pakistan's tribal region - Jul 23, 2012
- 'Polio vaccines may have lost efficacy in Pakistan' - Dec 22, 2010
- Faltering on polio, Pakistan looks at India lesson - Mar 02, 2012
- Pakistani province launches polio campaign - Jan 30, 2012
- Pakistan hopes to end polio in two years - Jun 01, 2012
- Militants blow up two schools in Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- 18 killed in Pakistan drone attacks (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Militants bomb CD shops in northwest Pakistan - Nov 12, 2011
- Another round of pulse polio campaign launched in Delhi - Mar 26, 2011
Tags: deputy director, drone, health officials, immunization campaign, khyber, militancy, militants, national immunization, north waziristan, one million, polio, polio campaign, polio cases, polio vaccination, polio vaccine, south waziristan, stronghold, tribal areas, vaccination campaign, xinhua