A doctor and a medical student saves a Hemophiliac boyJune 5th, 2009 - 5:02 pm ICT by GD
A baby suffering from Hemophilia was saved, thanks to a medical student who made a blood donation for the purpose. Nguyen Quang Loc Tai required an urgent operation at a time when the hospital had run out of its reserves of the O positive blood. The mother of the child who had the same blood type was unable to donate her blood as she just recently given birth to a baby.
At this crucial juncture a trainee medical student and Dr. Tran Xuan Phu of the OdontoStomatology Department who both happened to share Tai’s blood group, decided to donate their blood and hence saved the life of hemophilia stricken Tai.
Doctors later said that the operation was very vital for the boy to survive. Following the operation, Tai is fine now and has been released from the hospital.
What does hemophilia actually mean? This question is now on everyone’s mind. According health sources, Hemophilia which can also be spelled as ‘haemophilia’ is a group of genetic disorders that are hereditary by nature, which impairs the body’s ability to control the clotting of blood or coagulation. Blood clotting or coagulation refers to the natural mechanism to stop bleeding that comes into play whenever a blood vessel is ruptured.
Hemophilia is of two types- Hemophilia A and Hemophilia B. In the former the clotting factor viii is absent while in the latter there is a deficiency of factor ix. Haemophilia A occurs in about 1 in 5,00010,000 male births, while Haemophilia B occurs in about 1 in about 20,00034,000 births.
- Haryana to give ID cards to haemophilic children - Apr 17, 2011
- India-Canada to hold joint symposium on haemophilia - Sep 03, 2010
- Scientists alter genetic code to cure hereditary disease - Jun 27, 2011
- Compound in apple, onion can beat blood clots: Study - May 09, 2012
- New treatment for hemophilia launched in India - Nov 18, 2009
- Study finds how blood clotting and cancer progression are linked - Feb 05, 2011
- Statin can prevent strokes, besides lowering lipids - Jan 05, 2012
- 6-month-old, Asia's youngest, operated for rare bleeding disorder - Sep 22, 2010
- Newly mechanism that forms blood clots discovered - Dec 11, 2009
- Low iron levels tied to blood clot risk - Dec 15, 2011
- Redesigned protein may offer new treatments for haemophilia - Dec 26, 2008
- Overweight mothers could be putting babies at risk - Aug 15, 2012
- Heparin plays key role in allergic, inflammatory reactions - Feb 26, 2011
- Blood-clotting bandage to help save lives on the battlefield - Jan 30, 2011
- Scientists find way to harness thrombin's anti-blood clotting properties - Jun 21, 2010
Tags: blood donation, blood group, blood type, blood vessel, clotting factor, dr tran, factor viii, genetic disorders, haemophilia, health sources, hemophilia, juncture, loc, male births, medical student, natural mechanism, nguyen, o positive blood, quang, xuan phu