89 fall ill in US salmonella outbreakDecember 25th, 2010 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 25 (IANS) A salmonella outbreak has struck 89 people ill in 15 American states, according to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.No deaths have been reported, but around 23 percent of the sick people have been hospitalised, CNN reported.
Health officials said the first cases were identified Nov 1, and preliminary investigation shows a possible link to alfalfa sprouts.
“Preliminary results of this investigation indicate a link to eating alfalfa sprouts at a national sandwich chain,” the centre said.
The department of public health said many of the sick people reported eating at locations of Jimmy John’s sandwich restaurants.
However, the founder of Jimmy John’s said test results of sprouts from its main supplier have tested negative.
Jimmy John Liautaud said all store locations have all come up negative for the bacteria.
According to the centre, Illinois has 50 cases, Missouri 14, Indiana nine, Wisconsin three and Pennsylvania has two cases.
The strain has been identified as Salmonella serotype I-4.
Salmonella is a bacterial infection that usually lasts four to seven days. The infected person develops fever, abdominal cramps and diarrhoea between 12 and 72 hours after becoming infected. Most people recover without treatment.
- Jimmy John's sprouts linked to salmonella outbreak - Dec 20, 2010
- Salmonella biggest food-borne threat to US - Jun 08, 2011
- Salmonella alert over raw bean sprouts - Oct 08, 2010
- Alfalfa Sprout Recall Issued In All US States - May 23, 2010
- Egg Recall Raises Concern About Salmonella Infection - Aug 19, 2010
- Rapid cooling doubles eggs' shelf life - Jun 12, 2012
- Alfalfa sprouts being recalled because of salmonella outbreak - May 23, 2010
- Dry Pet Food Connected To The Outbreak Of Salmonella In Human Beings - Aug 10, 2010
- Scientists develop new salmonella test that makes food safer - Nov 23, 2010
- Germany admits bean sprouts caused E.coli outbreak - Jun 10, 2011
- Food poisoning could have lifelong consequences - Mar 21, 2012
- 2,000 fall sick in Philippines relief centres - Aug 10, 2012
- Four die from Listeria outbreak in Colorado - Sep 15, 2011
- Deadly bug can fight cancer - Mar 10, 2011
- Arthritis drug found effective in amoebic dysentery - May 21, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,