73 kids die of ‘mysterious’ disease in BiharJune 8th, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 8 (IANS) A “mysterious” disease has claimed the lives of 73 children in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur, Gaya and Patna districts during the past fortnight, officials said Friday.
State health department officials held an emergency meeting here Friday to take stock of the situation, even as they were yet to determine the cause of the deaths.
Till date, 30 children have died in Muzaffarpur and nine in Gaya.
Besides, 34 children have succumbed to the disease in the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) in the last 15 days.
Dr. Sujata Choudhary, head of the department of paediatric in the PMCH, said 80 children suffering from acute encephalitis syndrome were admitted to the hospital, of which 34 died.
She said over four dozen children suffering from “a mysterious disease” had been admitted to hospitals in the other two districts.
Some doctors and health officials have reportedly said the children were showing symptoms similar to encephalitis.
Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey and Principal Secretary (Health) Amarjit Sinha, however, denied reports that the children were dying of suspected encephalitis.
“The causes are yet to be ascertained,” Choubey said.
Last year, encephalitis, a mosquito-borne disease, claimed nearly 150 lives in Muzaffarpur and Gaya districts.
- Bihar seeks central help on mysterious disease - Jun 09, 2012
- Declare killer disease an epidemic, says Bihar - Jun 11, 2012
- Mysterious disease toll is 36 in Bihar - Jun 07, 2012
- Mysterious disease toll is 31 in Bihar - Jun 06, 2012
- Encephalitis claims 9 more lives in Bihar, toll now 159 - Jun 16, 2012
- Bihar's mystery disease is acute encephalitis syndrome: minister - Jun 12, 2012
- Encephalitis kills four more in Bihar, toll 204 - Jun 19, 2012
- Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar - Jun 05, 2012
- Killer disease is not Japanese encephalitis - Jun 28, 2012
- Encephalitis claims five more lives in Bihar, toll 230 - Jun 24, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 7 more in Bihar, death toll 150 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- 19 children dead in Bihar, encephalitis suspected - Sep 12, 2011
- WHO experts investigate Bihar's mystery disease - Jun 24, 2011
- Bihar to give Rs 50,000 for encephalitis victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: acute encephalitis, amarjit, ashwani, bihar, deaths, fortnight, gaya, health department officials, health minister, health officials, medical college, mosquito, mosquito borne disease, muzaffarpur, mysterious disease, paediatric, patna, pmch, principal secretary, state health department