57 people die of swine flu in IndiaApril 24th, 2012 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) As many as 57 people have died, mostly in Maharashtra, of swine flu in the country till April 18 this year, the Rajya Sabha was informed Tuesday.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad agreed that swine flu or H1N1 has re-surfaced in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu.
In Maharashtra, 20 people died of the virus from January to April 18 this year, he said.
The state also recorded the highest number of swine flu cases with 463 people infected with the virus.
In Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh, 12 deaths each were reported. While in Rajasthan 107 cases were registered, 112 cases were reported in Andhra.
Deaths were also reported from Karnataka (8), Gujarat (2), Tamil Nadu (2) and Madhya Pradesh (1).
The minister said they had prepared safety guidelines in 2009 in the wake of the pandemic outbreak that killed over 750 people. Apart from India, the flu outbreak was also witnessed in over 200 countries, including in the US and Britain.
Azad said they have issued an advisory again to all the states, asking them to gear up their medical facilities, including critical care.
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- Swine flu cases increase in less affected states - Nov 02, 2010
- Swine flu cases increase with monsoon - Jul 27, 2010
- Swine flu: 83 deaths, 942 cases in past one week - Aug 09, 2010
- Delhi prepared for swine flu - Apr 10, 2012
- Swine flu: 58 deaths, 629 cases in past one week - Aug 06, 2010
- 84 swine flu deaths, over 1,000 cases in a week - Aug 16, 2010
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- Two die of swine flu, 11 new cases surface - Nov 30, 2010
- India to unveil second swine flu vaccine - Jul 09, 2010
- 330 swine flu cases across India in past week - Jul 13, 2010
- Swine flu cases spurt, new vaccines to come shortly - Aug 30, 2010
- Five more deaths take India's swine flu toll to 290 (Roundup) - Sep 26, 2009
- Swine flu kills 1,002 Indians in five months (Lead) - Jan 05, 2010
- Cancer on the rise in India, says minister - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: april 24, critical care, deaths, flu, flu cases, flu outbreak, ghulam nabi azad, gujarat, h1n1, health minister, India, maharashtra, medical facilities, New Delhi, pandemic, rajasthan, rajya sabha, safety guidelines, swine flu, virus