56 percent drop in HIV infections since 2000August 24th, 2012 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 24 (IANS) The number of new annual HIV infections has declined by around 56 percent during the last decade in the country, the Lok Sabha was informed Friday.
Minister of State for Health S. Gandhiselvan said that based on HIV estimations 2010, it is estimated that India had approximately 1.2 lakh new infections in 2009, as against 2.7 lakh in 2000.
“Similar reduction in HIV incidence has been noted in all the high prevalence states in the southern and northeastern region. However, some low prevalence states have shown a slight increase in the number of new infections over the past two years,” he said.
Of the 1.2 lakh estimated new infections in 2009, the six high prevalence states account for only 39 percent of the cases, while the states of Odisha, Bihar, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat account for 41 percent of new infections.
“In regard to number of reported HIV/AIDS cases registered in ART (anti-retroviral therapy) centres for HIV care, during the year 2010-11, 320,114 HIV/AIDS cases were registered against 246,627 in 2009-10. However, during 2011-12, the same number has been decreased to 275,377 cases,” Gandhiselvan said.
The minister said that there was significant decline in HIV prevalence among female sex workers and young women (15-24 years) seeking antenatal care in the high-prevalence southern states.
- India to avert 3 million HIV cases: World Bank - Nov 30, 2011
- Young women most vulnerable to HIV: UNAIDS - Jun 03, 2011
- AIDS welfare cost may effect growth: Report - Apr 01, 2011
- Aim to eliminate HIV-AIDS from South-East Asia by 2015: WHO (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- India undeterred by global donors' pullout for AIDS control (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- New AIDS cases in India drop by 50 percent - Apr 01, 2011
- Russia tests HIV vaccine - Feb 06, 2012
- 34 mn HIV patients in world, infection rate down: UNAIDS - Jun 03, 2011
- Focus on states with low AIDS prevalence, high vulnerability: Azad (Second Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Don't neglect people with HIV, PM tells ministries - Jul 04, 2011
- HIV infection dropped 20 percent from 2001 to 2009: UN - Aug 26, 2011
- 'India has four lakh men who have sex with men' (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Nearly 61,000 HIV-infected in Punjab - Nov 30, 2010
- Dip in AIDS deaths: UN report (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- Alarming HIV/AIDS surge among Pakistan's drug addicts - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: 24 years, aids cases, bihar, estimations, female sex workers, gujarat, hiv aids, hiv care, hiv incidence, hiv infections, hiv prevalence, last decade, Lok Sabha, madhya pradesh, minister of state, northeastern region, rajasthan, southern states, uttar pradesh, west bengal