48 students fall ill after having mid-day mealJuly 14th, 2011 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kurukshetra, July 14 (IANS) Fortyeight school students in this Haryana district fell ill after having contaminated mid-day meal Thursday, health officials said.
The incident happened in two government-run primary schools in two villages - Doda Khedi and Gobindgarh, a health official said.
“After eating the food, students started complaining of vomiting and dizziness,” he said.
“At least 48 students were immediately rushed to the nearest hospital. Ten students were administered glucose while others were discharged,” he added.
“We have sealed the food sample and sent it to the laboratory for testing. If we find any kind of contamination, then strict action will be taken against the guilty,” the official said.
Mid-day meal is supplied in over 100 government schools here by a local NGO.
Sources in the district administration said an official found a dead lizard in the food and thereafter schools were told not to serve the food.
“However, this information could not reach the schools of Doda Khedi and Gobindgarh. Students ate contaminated food and fell ill,” said a district administration official, on condition of anonymity.
Under the Mid-day Meal Scheme, free lunch is provided in government schools.
- 53 students taken ill after mid-day meal - Jul 16, 2011
- Haryana to review mid-day meal scheme as kids fall sick - Jul 18, 2011
- Haryana sits on NHRC reminder - Aug 23, 2012
- Lizard in midday meal: Goa orders probe - Sep 13, 2011
- 60 children fall ill after mid-day meal - Sep 14, 2011
- 27 children fall ill after consuming mid-day meal - Jun 29, 2010
- Over 100 students fall ill after medication at health camp - Dec 14, 2010
- Two children die after eating mid-day meal in Bihar - Mar 11, 2010
- Over 100 students taken ill of food-poisoning - Sep 27, 2010
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- 40 students fall ill after mid-day meal - Aug 07, 2009
- 11 government school students hospitalised in Goa - Jun 15, 2011
- 70 schoolkids fall ill after being given iron tablets - Dec 03, 2010
- Goa to inspect kitchens after mid-day meal fiasco - Jun 17, 2011
- Court worried about poor mid-day meal - May 26, 2010
Tags: administration official, anonymity, contamination, district administration, dizziness, doda, free lunch, glucose, government schools, health official, health officials, july 14, lizard, mid day, nearest hospital, ngo sources, school students, strict action, vomiting