300-kg Briton sheds flab in India (With Image)November 9th, 2010 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, Nov 9 (IANS) A 300-kg Briton, who is looking forward to getting married, became the heaviest patient to undergo weight loss surgery in Asia when he went under the knife at a clinic in Maharashtra’s Pune city, a doctor said Tuesday.
Doctor Shashank Shah at Ruby Hall Clinic and his team conducted the surgery upon 35-year-old Zachari Andrew Smith from London Nov 4.
“Nobody in my family is so fat. They sure have a heavy built, but are not obese,” Smith told IANS.
He underwent bariatric surgery which helps weight loss by reducing the size of the stomach with an implant device or through removal of a portion of the stomach.
Smith lost around 13 kg immediately after the surgery. He also lost around 8 kg in the next four days.
“It was one of those rare cases to see a British person flying down to India to lose weight and lead a healthy life. He was the heaviest patient operated upon in Asia for obesity,” Shah said.
Smith, who is ready to return home, intends to lose another 180 kg in the next one year. “I always ate the wrong kinds of food. I already weighed 150 kg when I was 18. At 35, I weigh its double,” he said.
He lives with his mother and has two brothers. He plans to lose weight in the next year and get married.
A super obese patient, Smith suffered from heaviness in the abdomen, severe backache, hypertension and problem in walking, Shah said.
- 135-kg Afghan girl of 13 has weight loss surgery in India - Jan 22, 2012
- Britain's fattest man has weight reduction op in India - Nov 13, 2010
- 272-kg Iraqi man operated in Delhi - Sep 30, 2010
- Indian doctors give 250 kg Tanzanian new lease of life - May 06, 2011
- Bariatric surgery bringing hope for diabetics (Nov 14 is World Diabetes Day) - Nov 13, 2011
- Woman with rare hormonal disorder operated upon (with images) - Dec 27, 2011
- Weight-loss surgery successfully treats overweight teens - Mar 05, 2011
- Weight loss improves memory and concentration - Apr 13, 2011
- Mumbai's 190-kg man operated successfully, recuperating - Aug 31, 2010
- Ultimate before and after ad: Man sheds 150 kg after surgery (With Images) - Oct 07, 2009
- Experts stress 5 musts before weight loss surgery - Jul 10, 2012
- Surgery can help obese teens lose weight, shows study - Mar 07, 2011
- Weight loss improves testosterone levels - Jun 05, 2011
- Bariatric weight-loss surgery safer than living with obesity - Jan 30, 2010
- UAE woman dies after weight-loss surgery - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: abdomen, andrew smith, british person, briton, hypertension, implant device, India, kg, kinds of food, maharashtra, obese patient, obesity, pune city, rare cases, ruby hall clinic, shashank, stomach, super obese, two brothers, weight loss surgery