28 hospitalised after eating Indian-style food in Singapore

April 5th, 2009 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS  

Singapore, April 5 (DPA) A woman fell into a coma and at least 28 people were hospitalised after eating a popular Indian-style deep fried food, the New Paper said Sunday.
More than 100 others sought medical aid.

The health ministry said it was investigating a food stall named Rojak Geylang Serai, which makes and sells an Indian-style deep-fried mixture of meat and vegetable in the eastern district of Geylang.

After patronising the stall, Aminah Samijo, 57, fell sick and went into coma Friday, while her husband is in the regular ward of the same hospital.

Abdul Latiff, 44, and his four children, aged 7 to 16, as well a pregnant woman also suffered food poisoning by eating from the same stall.

The ministry has directed the stallholder and his assistant to undergo screening for food-borne pathogens.

The stall had been shut down. It has been operating for more than 20 years with perpetually long queues of its regular customers and has been rated among the best in the city.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Health |