28 hospitalised after eating Indian-style food in SingaporeApril 5th, 2009 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Singapore, April 5 (DPA) A woman fell into a coma and at least 28 people were hospitalised after eating a popular Indian-style deep fried food, the New Paper said Sunday.
More than 100 others sought medical aid.
The health ministry said it was investigating a food stall named Rojak Geylang Serai, which makes and sells an Indian-style deep-fried mixture of meat and vegetable in the eastern district of Geylang.
After patronising the stall, Aminah Samijo, 57, fell sick and went into coma Friday, while her husband is in the regular ward of the same hospital.
Abdul Latiff, 44, and his four children, aged 7 to 16, as well a pregnant woman also suffered food poisoning by eating from the same stall.
The ministry has directed the stallholder and his assistant to undergo screening for food-borne pathogens.
The stall had been shut down. It has been operating for more than 20 years with perpetually long queues of its regular customers and has been rated among the best in the city.
- UK chip shop owner serves up deep-fried creme eggs for Easter - Apr 11, 2011
- Corn Dog Pizza wins blue ribbon at Minnesota State Fair - Sep 24, 2010
- Fried food is my weakness, says Gwyneth Paltrow - Dec 15, 2010
- Fried Kool aid is a bestseller at the San Diego County Fair - Jun 21, 2011
- Deep-fried beer on its way - Sep 01, 2010
- Salmonella biggest food-borne threat to US - Jun 08, 2011
- Doughnut Burgers And Deep-Fried Butter Represent The Popular New Foods At The State Fairs In America - Aug 11, 2010
- Eating dirt can be good for the gut - Jun 03, 2011
- Plasma zaps can decontaminate chicken meat - Feb 05, 2012
- Now, fried-beer fillets that pack a punch for those who love booze - Aug 31, 2010
- Salmonella bugs could prevent food poisoning - Apr 13, 2012
- Indian parantha with American omelette - enjoy! (Eating out with IANS) - Jun 14, 2010
- No cardiac risk with food fried in olive, sunflower oil - Jan 25, 2012
- Invoking Batman name promotes healthy eating - Jul 23, 2012
- Teens growing addicted to junk food - Jul 29, 2011
Tags: deep fried food, food borne pathogens, food in singapore, food poisoning, food stall, health ministry, hospitalised, latiff, medical aid, mixture, pregnant woman, queues, serai, singapore singapore