24 die after drinking hooch in HondurasJuly 11th, 2012 - 11:16 am ICT by IANS
Tegucigalpa, July 11 (IANS) Twentyfour people have died over the past two weeks in Honduras after drinking illicit liquor, said health authorities.
The head of epidemicological security for the Health Secretariat, Tomas Guevara, told EFE that another 24 people were poisoned by aguardiente, a liquor distilled from sugar cane, that had been adulterated with methanol.
He added that of the fatalities, 11 died in the Tegucigalpa Teaching Hospital and 13 at their homes in the city of Siguatepeque, 113 km north of the Honduran capital.
“The Attorney General’s Office found in the autopsies that there was methanol in the bodies of the victims,” Guevara said.
Some of the 24 survivors remain at Santa Teresa Hospital in Comayagua, some 80 km north of Tegucigalpa.
Health authorities are also investigating the death of a man Monday, presumably from drinking aguardiente laced with methanol, in the western municipality of Jesus de Otoro.
The spokesperson for the AG’s office, Issa Alvarado, said that authorities are “studying the alcohol that was seized in Siguatepeque and Comayagua to see if it is adulterated.”
- Ecuador toxic alcohol toll climbs to 50 - Sep 03, 2011
- Deadly prison fire an accident: Honduras - Feb 22, 2012
- Honduras prison fire: President vows full investigation - Feb 16, 2012
- Adulterated liquor kills 29 in Ecuador - Jul 23, 2011
- US Coast Guard seizes ship with 3.5 tonnes cocaine - Aug 06, 2010
- TV personality slain in Honduras - Apr 24, 2012
- Dengue affects 11,000 people in Honduras - Jun 20, 2010
- Honduran police find burnt aircraft - Dec 20, 2011
- Honduran journalist's killer gets jail term of 28 years - Sep 12, 2012
- Former Honduras president says US behind coup against him - Jun 29, 2010
- Remittances to Honduras increases - Jul 17, 2012
- 350 dead in Honduras prison fire (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Ricky Martin expresses solidarity with flood victims - Oct 18, 2011
- Journalist slain in Honduras - Dec 07, 2011
- Seven tonnes of cocaine found in submarine - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: attorney general, autopsies, death of a man, efe, guevara, health authorities, honduran capital, honduras tegucigalpa, hooch, illicit liquor, issa, methanol, municipality, santa teresa hospital, secretariat, siguatepeque, spokesperson, sugar cane, survivors, teaching hospital