2,000 march in Hong Kong against smoking banMay 24th, 2009 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, May 24 (DPA) Around 2,000 people took part in a protest march in Hong Kong Sunday calling for a blanket ban on smoking in bars and restaurants to be postponed.
The protesters, mostly bar owners and employees, said they wanted the ban to be delayed for two years to allow the entertainment industry to cope with the effects of the economic crisis.
From July, smoking will be banned in all bars, nightclubs, karaoke lounges and sauna parlours and operators claim the ban may force half the city’s entertainment premises out of business.
A smoking ban first came into effect for bars and restaurants in Hong Kong Jan 1, 2007, but hundreds of bars along with nightclubs and karaoke lounges were exempted until July 2009.
The city’s powerful entertainment industry lobby now wants a further delay, saying the timing of the ban will be devastating combined with the economic crisis and the current swine flu scare.
Anti-smoking campaigners have accused the city’s government of paying too much attention to the industry lobby and putting its interests ahead of concern over public health.
Less than one in five adults smoke in Hong Kong, a wealthy city of seven million which has a low smoking rate compared to other countries and territories in the region.
- Shanghai curbs smoking - Mar 06, 2012
- Shanghai curbs smoking (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Beware of cameras while smoking in Shanghai - Jul 28, 2012
- Cigarette consumption rises in Hong Kong after smoking ban - Jan 31, 2009
- Macao mulls ban on smoking in casinos - Jun 08, 2010
- As hookah becomes in, it raises health concerns (Lifestyle Feature) - May 06, 2012
- Lawmakers get tough on smoking - Jan 14, 2012
- Moscow to ban smoking in restaurants by 2014 - May 05, 2012
- More than one pub closing every day in the UK - Mar 28, 2011
- New York to implement the smoking ban in parks and beaches - Sep 16, 2010
- Public Smoking All Set To Be Banned In Spain - Oct 21, 2010
- Hookah bars violating anti-smoke rules: NGO - Oct 01, 2011
- Committed to 'one country, two systems', says China - Jul 02, 2012
- Greece imposes smoking ban in enclosed public spaces - Sep 01, 2010
- US, Canada, Ireland are havens for non-smokers - May 31, 2010
Tags: ban hong, blanket ban, campaigners, dpa, economic crisis, entertainment industry, flu, hong kong, karaoke lounges, may 24, nightclubs, premises, protest march, protesters, public health, s entertainment, sauna, scare, smoking ban, swine flu