200 kids fall sick playing Holi in MumbaiMarch 8th, 2012 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 8 (IANS) Nearly 200 children from Mumbai’s Dharavi slum suffered colour poisoning playing Holi Thursday and were admitted to hospital following allergic reactions, a hospital official said. All are now said to be stable.
“So far 176 children have been admitted to the hospital with complaints of skin allergy, burning of eyes, giddiness and vomiting,” a duty medical officer from Sion Hospital told IANS.
“More and more cases are coming in since the afternoon. They seem to have played with colours with some chemical elements,” he said.
The incident occurred in Shastrinagar area of the slum in south-central Mumbai when Holi celebrations were in full swing. The affected children were taken to the hospital.
According to hospital officials, some cases were critical on admission but are now stable and responding well to treatment.
Officials also added that they have got calls from a few adults also with similar complaints.
Police are looking into the matter and trying to find out the source of the Holi colours, a police official said.
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Intro Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Teen dead, 200 still in hospital after 'colour' poisoning - Mar 09, 2012
- Holi horror: Chemical dye kills teen, sends 235 to hospital (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- 70 hospitalised with food poisoning in Chhattisgarh - Feb 21, 2012
- 42 kids hit by food poisoning in China - Jul 08, 2011
- 50 fall ill after gas leaks in Mumbai - Jul 14, 2010
- Shatrugan Sinha hospitalised after breathing trouble - Jul 02, 2012
- Woman Congress leader shot dead in Mumbai - Oct 29, 2011
- 300 Chinese kids ill after having school lunch - Apr 10, 2012
- One killed in Mumbai monorail project site accident - Jul 20, 2012
- Rajnikanth's condition stable - May 18, 2011
- More than 70 injured in Mumbai's Dahi Handi celebrations - Aug 22, 2011
- Two killed in post-poll violence across Maharashtra - Feb 20, 2012
- Rajinikanth advised two more days in ICU - May 07, 2011
- A community effort to curb suicides in Mumbai - Dec 19, 2011
Tags: admission, adults, allergic reactions, central mumbai, chemical elements, colours, dharavi slum, full swing, giddiness, holi, holi celebrations, hospital officials, medical officer, police official, skin allergy