200 faculty posts vacant at AIIMS, admits AzadAugust 30th, 2011 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) As many as 200 faculty posts are lying vacant at the premier All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) that serves an estimated 8,000 patients every day, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said Tuesday.
In a written reply to the Rajya Sabha, Azad said that of the 200 vacant posts, the institute has already advertised for 115 positions at the level of professors and lecturers in nursing.
He also said that the institute’s standing committee on selection held in November and December last year had considered all eligible faculties for promotion.
Asked whether operation theatres at AIIMS are closed down, Azad said these were “temporarily closed for necessary maintenance and upgradation work”.
“Insofar as neurology is concerned, out of seven operation theatres six are fully operational and one is under renovation,” he added.
The Delhi-based institute is among the top 10 medical colleges in the world, and serves mostly the underprivileged people who come from all over the country. the institute has over 2,200 beds. The Newsweek magazine has described the AIIMS as an ‘oasis of the poor’.
- Acute shortage of health staff in rural areas: Sonia (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- AIIMS gets Rs.1,000 crore in budget - Feb 28, 2011
- With Rs.1,100 crore, AIIMS bags highest budget share - Mar 16, 2012
- AIIMS-Patna to start this year, says Ghulam Nabi Azad - May 24, 2012
- Work on Rae Bareli AIIMS to begin soon: Azad - Aug 09, 2012
- MBBS students call off agitation in Meghalaya - Jul 05, 2011
- Race on for Chandigarh medical institute's top job - Feb 04, 2011
- Shortage of health staff in rural areas: Sonia Gandhi - Dec 21, 2011
- Rural India is short of 16,000 doctors - Mar 09, 2011
- Azad to decide on sacked AIIMS doctor's reinstatement (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Over 120 doctors quit government hospitals - Mar 02, 2011
- More medical research needed: Azad - Apr 28, 2012
- Akhilesh seeks three more AIIMS-like institutes in UP - May 18, 2012
- Six AIIMS-like institutions by end-2013: Azad - Feb 02, 2012
- Seven senior doctors quit AIIMS in last one year: Azad - Feb 23, 2010
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, faculties, faculty posts, ghulam nabi azad, health minister, india institute, lecturers, medical colleges, necessary maintenance, New Delhi, newsweek, newsweek magazine, operation theatres, professors, rajya sabha, renovation, reply, standing committee, vacant posts