18,207 people donate blood in Punjab’s mega campMarch 11th, 2009 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
Anandpur Sahib (Punjab), March 11 (IANS) As many as 18,207 people from various states across the country donated blood in a single day at a camp set up in this Punjab town, officials said Wednesday.
The Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) and various other Panthic (Sikh) organisations under the aegis of the Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of Sikhs, Wednesday organised the camp.
“We have registered 18,207 donors in 24 hours. The blood donation camp concluded at 7 a.m. Wednesday,” Jaswinder Singh, media coordinator of the organising committee, told IANS here Wednesday.
“Over 1,800 donors had came from Nagpur, Maharashtra, in a special train to take part in this drive. Besides, 40 buses from Delhi, 25 from Rajasthan, 30 from Jammu, and nearly 125 buses from all over Punjab ferrying donors had reached here,” Singh said.
He said 250 doctors, 1,500 para-medics and nearly 3,000 volunteers were engaged in the camp.
The camp is being held on the occasion of the Sikh festival of Hola Mohalla, which coincides with Holi.
“Right now, we cannot tell you the exact number of men and women as our volunteers are still busy in calculating the separate figures. However, one thing is for sure that we have set a new world record and we would send all the recordings of the camp to the officials of Guinness Book of World Records for their scrutiny,” Singh said.
The collected blood has been sent to more than 110 blood banks of various medical institutes in the country.
“Special arrangements were made to airlift the donated blood to different parts of the country so that the blood could reach its destination at the earliest,” Singh said.
Singh said: “Initially it seemed to be a difficult task for us. But after getting the green signal from the SGPC, things automatically started shaping up.”
Anandpur Sahib, 85 km from the state capital Chandigarh, is known for the Sikh shrine Takht Keshgarh Sahib.
- Over 17,000 donate blood in Punjab's mega camp - Mar 10, 2009
- Thousands converge at shrine for Hola Mohalla - Mar 08, 2012
- Sikh groups to hold mega blood donation camp - Mar 09, 2009
- 25,000 people may donate blood during Hola Mohalla celebrations - Feb 27, 2009
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Sikhs to hold mega-blood donation camp in Punjab - Feb 16, 2009
- Hindu and Sikh shrines on Punjab-HP border to be linked - Jul 18, 2012
- Green 'Hola Mohalla' festival planned at Punjab gurdwara - Mar 12, 2011
- Sikhs celebrate Holla Mohalla through blood donation camps - Mar 10, 2009
- Train to five Sikh shrines in December - Apr 03, 2012
- PM cancels Punjab trip, SGPC and Akalis upset - Nov 03, 2011
- Sikh group wants Anandpur Sahib declared plastic free - Mar 11, 2011
- Punjab: where politics and religion mix well (Punjab Newsletter) - Dec 31, 2011
- Security stepped up around Haryana gurdwaras - Sep 13, 2010
- PM to inaugurate Sikh heritage site - Oct 22, 2011
Tags: airlift, akal takht, blood banks, blood donation camp, book of world records, exact number, guinness book of world, guinness book of world records, holi, jaswinder singh, media coordinator, medical institutes, mohalla, organising committee, panthic, sahib, sgpc, sikh festival, sikhs, town officials