1.28 mn Chinese register for bone marrow donationMay 17th, 2011 - 9:30 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 17 (IANS) Around 1.28 million people have registered with China’s national bone marrow donation programme, and the number is expected to reach two million by the end of 2015, officials said.
The China Marrow Donor Programme (CMDP), which celebrated its 10th anniversary Monday, has facilitated 2,142 bone marrow transplants over the past 10 years, Xinhua reported.
The CMDP, affiliated with the Red Cross Society of China, is a national organisation that oversees bone marrow donations in the country.
The national programme has also helped establish 31 provincial donation programmes.
Government statistics show that about 40,000 people suffer each year from leukaemia in China and there are about one million people awaiting bone marrow transplant.
- Pak businessman is Delhi's first marrow transplant case from unrelated donor - Sep 17, 2012
- Woman offers 10-years free-work for father's cure - Mar 30, 2012
- Salman pledges bone marrow to help patients - Nov 12, 2010
- Rihanna, Alicia Keys seek help for cancer patient Tavarez - Jul 09, 2010
- Cuba has carried out 5,000 kidney transplants - Dec 06, 2011
- Iraqi woman gets new life with bone marrow transplant in India - Sep 23, 2010
- Salman Khan to donate his bone marrow - Nov 14, 2010
- Awareness is key to prevent thalassemia - May 06, 2012
- Sahara Hospital to start bone-marrow transplant - Sep 24, 2011
- Robin Roberts Back at 'Good Morning America' - Aug 21, 2012
- Lawsuit Filed Against Ban On Compensating Bone Marrow Doners - Nov 16, 2009
- Stem cell transplant cheap in India, but very few centres - Jan 01, 2011
- Fish oil may hold key to leukaemia cure - Dec 23, 2011
- Salman Khan Pledges Bone Marrow For Marrow Donor Registry (India) - Nov 18, 2010
- Minister inaugurates organ transplant unit - Jun 12, 2010
Tags: 10 years, 10th anniversary, beijing, bone marrow donation, bone marrow donations, bone marrow transplant, bone marrow transplants, china, cmdp, government statistics, leukaemia, marrow donor, national bone marrow, national organisation, national programme, one million, red cross society, two million, xinhua