12,000 walk in Dubai for breast cancer awarenessOctober 29th, 2011 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Oct 29 (IANS) A massive crowd of 12,000 people walked for over three km in Dubai to help spread awareness about breast cancer and provide support to patients.
Breast cancer is a major killer in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), doctors say. Here, cancer is prevalent among women 10 years younger than the world average.
Each adult who took part in Friday’s walk was charged 50 dirhams ($13) and a child 30 dirhams, Gulf News reported.
Sabina Khandwani, spokesperson for the campaign told Gulf News the money raised will provide for free mammograms and help provide support to breast cancer patients and educate women.
“It is still a taboo subject among older Emirati women but they are learning from the younger generation in their families,” a doctor said.
October is the month of spreading awareness about breast cancer. Primary health centres and hospitals in the UAE are offering discounts for a mammogram check.
- Awareness key to beating breast cancer, say experts (Feb 4 is World Cancer Day) - Feb 03, 2012
- Sheryl Crow opens breast cancer center - 'The Sheryl Crow Imaging Center' - Aug 27, 2010
- India witnessing rise in pancreatic cancer, say doctors - Oct 06, 2011
- Changing lifestyle toughens India's cancer battle (Feb 4 is World Cancer Day) - Feb 03, 2012
- Chinese women developing breast cancer at younger ages - Mar 28, 2011
- As breast cancer spreads in India, awareness is key (Feature) - Sep 01, 2010
- Experts offer 10 tips for breast cancer screening and early detection - Oct 10, 2010
- Annual mammograms beginning at 40 save 71pc more lives: Study - Jan 28, 2011
- Preity Zinta, Zeenat Aman to celebrate woman power in Dubai - Apr 06, 2011
- Dense boobs linked to breast cancer return - Oct 08, 2010
- Wake-up call on breast cancer in India (Feature) - Oct 28, 2010
- Women with false-positive mammograms suffer serious anxiety - Jan 14, 2011
- Dangerous Liaisons: Wild cats as trophy pets in UAE (With Images) - Apr 20, 2012
- Gurgaon doctor offers free cancer treatment (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Need to create awareness about cancer of cervix: Doctors - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: 10 years, breast cancer, breast cancer awareness, breast cancer patients, dirhams, dubai, emirati, free mammograms, gulf news, health centres, hospitals, mammograms, massive crowd, primary health, sabina, spokesperson, taboo subject, uae, united arab emirates, younger generation