11 chief ministers pledge support against tobaccoJuly 19th, 2011 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) Chief ministers of 11 states, on persuasion of patients of oral cancer, have pledged their support to ban against tobacco products, a statement said Tuesday.
According to the Voluntary Health Association of India (VHAI), the chief ministers of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Goa, Kerala, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Punjab, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand signed the pledge.
“The victims of oral cancer along with oncologists met their respective chief ministers and urged them to protect the people of their states from the harmful effects of tobacco products by implementing stringent pictorial warnings on chewing tobacco products and stopping sale of such products near educational institutions,” the statement said.
The chief ministers in return assured the victims of their commitment by signing a pledge calling for a ban on gutka and khaini products.
- Gutka ban welcome, needs to be effective, say Delhiites - Sep 11, 2012
- Plastic gutka sachets banned, really? - Mar 06, 2011
- Chewing tobacco joins 'banned foods' as oral cancer cases rise - Sep 02, 2011
- Inadequate, say health activists of new anti-tobacco warnings - Jun 01, 2011
- Harsher pictorial warnings on tobacco packs from Dec 1 (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Punjab bans gutka, pan masala - Aug 27, 2012
- Law on anti-tobacco warnings ignored in two states: Study - Feb 16, 2012
- New carcinogen in smokeless tobacco identified - Apr 27, 2012
- Himachal defers ban on gutka till October - Jul 17, 2012
- Jharkhand bans sale, manufacturing of gutka - Jul 24, 2012
- New pictorial warnings on tobacco products from June 1 - Mar 10, 2010
- Delhi to host national consultation on smokeless tobacco - Mar 29, 2011
- We Need A Lifetime Of No Tobacco, And Not Merely A Day - May 28, 2010
- Parrikar too was hooked onto gutka - Aug 07, 2012
- Harsher pictorial warnings on tobacco packs from Dec 1 - May 28, 2011
Tags: arunachal pradesh, assam, chewing tobacco, chhattisgarh, chief ministers, educational institutions, effects of tobacco, gujarat, gutka, harmful effects of tobacco, health association, karnataka, maharashtra, oral cancer, pledge support, punjab, rajasthan, tobacco products, uttarakhand, voluntary health