100,000 women undergo genital mutilation in BritainApril 22nd, 2012 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 22 (IANS) About 100,000 women in Britain have undergone female genital mutilations, with some medics in the country offering to carry out the illegal procedure on girls as young as 10, it has been reported.
The Sunday Times’ investigators claim to have secretly filmed a doctor, dentist and alternative medicine practitioner who were allegedly willing to perform circumcisions or arrange for the operation to be carried out.
The practice, involving the surgical removal of external genitalia and in some cases the stitching of the vaginal opening, is illegal in Britain. It can invite up to 14-year-imprisonment, the Daily Mail reported.
It is also against the law to arrange female genital mutilation (FGM).
Known as “cutting”, the procedure is traditionally carried out for cultural reasons and in Africa and with large numbers of immigration from countries like Sudan, Somalia and Ethiopia, it is becoming more common in Britain.
It is believed to be proof of a girl’s “purity” when she marries. The victims, however, often suffer in silence and are rarely given anaesthetic.
Research suggests anually up to 6,000 girls in London are at a risk of the potentially fatal procedure, and over 22,000 in Britain as a whole.
- UK unsuccessful in halting female genital mutilation - Dec 20, 2009
- Cosmetic surgery in women increasingly becoming more pervasive - Jun 12, 2010
- African immigrant girls face sexual mutilation threat - Feb 06, 2012
- Circumcision Lowers Chances Of HPV Risk In Women, Study Says - Jan 09, 2011
- Burkina Faso's `pleasure hospital' offers women sexual hope - May 21, 2009
- Australia takes tough line on female circumcision - May 01, 2009
- Female circumcision continues in Egypt even six years after it was banned - Sep 22, 2008
- 40,000 Zimbabwean men circumcised in a year - Nov 20, 2011
- Aussie docs considering traditional 'ritual nicks' to circumcise females - May 28, 2010
- Female circumcision affects American girls too - May 27, 2010
- Botched circumcisions kill 33 boys in South Africa - Jul 05, 2009
- Couple jailed in France for mutilating daughters' genitals - Jun 04, 2012
- Vaginal cosmetic surgery in vogue in Italy - Aug 21, 2010
- Why circumcised men are less likely to get infected with HIV - Jan 06, 2010
- British police to be trained to spot sorcery - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: alternative medicine, britain london, daily mail, dentist, external genitalia, female genital mutilation, female genital mutilations, immigration, imprisonment, investigators, large numbers, medicine practitioner, medics, proof, purity, silence, somalia, sudan, sunday times, vaginal opening