1,000 doses of flu vaccine stolen in PeruApril 26th, 2010 - 10:42 am ICT by IANS
Lima, April 26 (IANS/EFE) A box containing 1,000 doses of swine flu vaccine, which were to be used for vaccinating over three million Peruvian citizens, has been stolen in Lima, the health ministry has said.
The theft occurred Saturday, when the vehicle was transporting the vaccines to a warehouse.
The vaccine doses that were stolen were in multiple-dose containers, each bottle intended for several people and their incorrect use could cause adverse reactions, the ministry said Sunday.
“Being a new vaccine and a high-technology one, only people in the areas of immunization (within the ministry) have been trained to administer it,” it said.
Though the vaccine is available free of charge at state health centres and to police and armed forces, its sale is not authorized at clinics, pharmacies, doctors’ offices and elsewhere.
Peru registered 9,062 cases of swine flu and 203 deaths from the disease between May and December 2009.
- Swine flu deaths rise to 133 in Brazil - Jul 25, 2012
- 91 cops ill after having chicken soup in Peru - Apr 23, 2012
- 15 die in Peru bus accident - Sep 14, 2012
- Bats bite over 500 people in Peru - Aug 13, 2010
- Man trapped in Peru gold mine rescued - Apr 20, 2012
- 19 dead in Peru bus accident - Feb 26, 2011
- Two tonnes of cocaine found in coffee bags - Jul 25, 2010
- Peru honours singer Tania Libertad for 50-year career - May 07, 2012
- Three thieves burnt alive by Peru mob - Mar 21, 2011
- Peru to vaccinate seven mn against swine flu - Sep 02, 2009
- Mexico to vaccinate 1 mn chickens against bird flu - Jul 11, 2012
- Bodies of two US mountaineers found in Peru - Jul 30, 2012
- India to unveil second swine flu vaccine - Jul 09, 2010
- Three arrested in Peru with fake bills - Jul 04, 2010
- Brazilian president gets flu vaccination - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: adverse reactions, armed forces, citizens, containers, deaths, doctors, efe, flu, health centres, health ministry, high technology, immunization, peru lima, pharmacies, state health, swine flu vaccine, sy, vaccine doses, vaccines