Zimbabwe cholera death toll rises to 3,300February 5th, 2009 - 7:02 am ICT by IANS
Harrare, Feb 5 (Xinhua) The cholera death toll in Zimbabwe has reached 3,300, a World Health Organisation (WTO) official has said. WTO country representative Custodia Mandlhate was quoted by local media New Ziana as saying that a total of 65,700 cases had also been reported since the first outbreak in August last year.
She said fears were that about 32,000 new cases would be recorded in the near future if little was done to control the disease.
“As of Tuesday, a total of 65,700 cases of cholera had been reported,” she said, stressing that “about 3,300 people have died since August last year”.
She said the war against cholera had not yet been won and there was need for all stakeholders to intensify efforts to curb the spread of the deadly pandemic.
She said cholera was more prone during the rainy season, and with the current rains, more cases could be recorded if little was done to avert the outbreak.
“Another worrying development is that the outbreaks have shifted from urban areas to rural areas,” Mandlhate said.
She urged the government and other stakeholders to cooperate in providing clean water and sanitation services to rural areas.
She said the war against cholera had been compounded by the lack of water treatment chemicals, medicines, drugs and other resources. Brain drain in the health sector, she added, had also crippled the campaign.
The current cholera outbreak has been the worst ever pandemic to hit the country in recent years.
- Cholera outbreak in Cuba after 130 years - Jul 15, 2012
- Ghana cholera toll rises to 21 - Apr 19, 2012
- At least 796 dead in Haiti's cholera outbreak, up to 200,000 in risk - Nov 12, 2010
- Cholera claimed 4,000 lives in Haiti - Jan 26, 2011
- Cholera bacteria in Haiti similar to Southeast Asian variety - Nov 03, 2010
- Himachal proposes Rs.20,243 crore budget estimates - Mar 20, 2012
- Cholera epidemic kills 11 in Ghana - Apr 05, 2012
- India to have 5 crore more bank accounts by March 2012 - Feb 10, 2011
- Haiti's cholera strain came from South Asia: Study - Dec 11, 2010
- US takes India to WTO over poultry import bar - May 12, 2012
- 45 voodoo priests lynched in Haiti for cholera deaths - Dec 24, 2010
- 3.5 mn Pakistani children at risk of fatal diseases - Aug 17, 2010
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- Cholera Outbreak In Nigeria Has Left Hundreds Dead, United Nations Reveals - Oct 23, 2010
- Russia admitted to World Trade Organisation - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: brain drain, cases of cholera, cholera outbreak, country representative, death toll, health sector, lack of water, local media, organisation wto, pandemic, rainy season, rural areas, sanitation services, stakeholders, water and sanitation, water treatment chemicals, world health organisation, wto official, xinhua, ziana