Youth from 100 nations to meet, discuss social problemsOctober 26th, 2010 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 26 (IANS) Over 300 youngsters from across the globe are all set to meet here next month to discuss various challenges facing their respective communities, think of possible solutions and try to implement these back home.
The meet will be organised by Oxfam International, an organisation of 14 NGOs.
Titled Oxfam International Youth Partnerships (OIYP) programme, the meet will be an eight-day affair starting Nov 22 and will see participation from a hundred countries, including New Zealand, Britain, Spain, the US, Germany, France and Mexico besides India. All the participants would be aged between 18-25.
“The event aims to provide a platform to the youth to discuss problems in their community and country, deepen their understanding of the issues, underlying poverty and injustice and give them an opportunity to work together to find solutions to these problems and go back and implement their plans,” an Oxfam official said in a statement.
The Indian participation will see 20 youngsters, including students, working professionals, volunteers and entrepreneurs.
Among the issues that the Indian participants will be discussing are education for the girl child, village development through active citizenship using information technology, health issues and identifying sports talent at the grassroots.
“At the end of the event, the participants will go back, refine their project plans and continue to be supported by Oxfam to develop their skills and ability to implement their plans. Based on the needs, Oxfam will conduct skill-building workshops and also provide online and networking opportunity over three years,” the official said.
“Some selected participants will also be provided with grants to undertake community based projects over the next three years,” the official added.
- Shabana Azmi urges youth to bring change - Nov 22, 2010
- Youth from abroad get glimpse of local talent - Nov 26, 2010
- Now bid to meet Colin Firth - Nov 24, 2011
- Involve men to check violence against women - May 06, 2010
- Net deterioration in security environment: PM (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- 'Pehal' initiatve aims to uplift the underprivileged - Jul 27, 2012
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- Youth conference to find solutions to urban problems - Jul 23, 2011
- Artists, scientists brainstorm for green cause - Nov 27, 2011
- Delhi to host Pakistani lifestyle expo - Apr 04, 2012
- Rural poverty alleviation project for northeast approved - Nov 16, 2011
- Book chronicles life of Malaysia's ethnic Indians - Dec 19, 2010
- Exhibitions light up eighth edition of India-Africa conclave - Mar 21, 2012
- India-Africa business conclave starts Sunday - Mar 25, 2011
- ChildFund to give Rs.200 crore for south India youth - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: citizenship, germany france, girl child, grassroots, health issues, indian participants, indian participation, injustice, networking opportunity, New Delhi, ngos, oxfam, oxfam international, partnerships, possible solutions, poverty, sports talent, us germany, using information technology, youngsters