Yahoo Mail gets makeover after 5 yrs to catch up with Microsoft, GoogleOctober 27th, 2010 - 12:07 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 27 (ANI): Yahoo has finally decided to revamp its email service in a bid to catch up with rivals Microsoft and Google - the company has decided to give its mail service a makeover after five years.
Users can now post updates to Facebook and Twitter as well as view photos and videos from Flickr, Picasa and YouTube without ever leaving Yahoo Mail.
“People spend more than 300 billion minutes a month on Yahoo Mail,” the BBC quoted Dave McDowell, Yahoo Mail senior product manager, as saying.
“It is a critically important product to our users and this represents [the] most significant upgrade to Yahoo mail in five years,” he added.
Other upgrades to Yahoo’s service include improved spam filtering, and tools to search through mail that will help better sort and prioritise messages.
“Yahoo Mail is a critical product for the company with an enormous user base. The challenge for them is to make having a Yahoo Mail address cool,” said Industry analyst Greg Sterling, of Sterling Market Intelligence.
“In the past I would have said people don’t want all these functions in their e-mail box but with people now having so many sites to visit this makes sense,” he said.
“I think if Yahoo Mail performs well, they will win people over.” (ANI)
- Microsoft unveils new email service - Aug 01, 2012
- Microsoft's Hotmail gets a makeover - May 19, 2010
- Internet firms spy on personal texts sent on smartphones - Feb 26, 2012
- Yahoo Inc Lays Off 600 Employees - Dec 15, 2010
- Beware of Valentine's spam, warns IT security firm - Feb 13, 2012
- Google launches priority inbox, unveils spam killer - Sep 01, 2010
- Microsoft launches Office 365 in India - Jun 30, 2011
- Facebook's new messaging service promises 'death of email' - Nov 16, 2010
- Young ditch e-mail for social networking sites - Dec 26, 2010
- Under 25s abandoning 'cumbersome' emails for social networking sites - Dec 25, 2010
- Russia targets 1 man & one-fifth of the world's spam reduces - Oct 29, 2010
- Facebook launches new messaging system - Nov 16, 2010
- Twitter unveils first major revamp since launch - Sep 16, 2010
- 36 hours of videos uploaded on YouTube every minute - Feb 16, 2011
- Yahoo hackers leak passwords - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,