Wreck of HMS Victory, containing golden treasure, found under English ChannelFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 2:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 2 (ANI): An exploration company has claimed to have found the shipwreck of the fourth HMS Victory, which is thought to contain millions of pounds worth of gold, at the bottom of the English Channel.
According to a report in the Telegraph, the ship, codenamed Legend, has been discovered by Odyssey Marine Exploration, a US company.
The ship, the fourth of six HMS Victories, and a predecessor to Lord Nelsons HMS Victory, sunk with 1,150 sailors onboard in October 1744 around The Casquets, a group of rocks off the Channel Islands.
Among other valuable artefacts, it is thought to contain 100,000 gold coins.
Till now, Odyssey has raised at least 16 brass cannons from the wreck appearing to be from the Victory.
Experts estimate that the ships 100 guns would now be worth between 10,000 pounds and 20,000 pounds. It is also thought to be searching for the ships gold coins.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence, from the British Government, was reported to have told a newspaper that the Government would negotiate with Odyssey over the recovery of the haul from the shipwreck.
The spokesman added, No intrusive action may be taken without the express consent of the United Kingdom. (ANI)
- 50 tonnes of silver recovered from sea - Jul 20, 2012
- £155m treasure trove discovered on shipwreck - Sep 27, 2011
- Treasure hunter finds $3bn-worth platinum in shipwreck - Feb 02, 2012
- Spanish treasure lands after 200 years - Feb 27, 2012
- Hundreds of bars of silver rescued from WWII shipwreck - Jul 19, 2012
- Ship carrying huge sum of Libyan money seized by Britain - Mar 04, 2011
- Ring worth $500,000 recovered from sunken ship - Jun 26, 2011
- European trade was thriving in Bronze Age, shows 3,000-year-old shipwreck - Feb 16, 2010
- Spanish treasure found off Florida - Mar 29, 2011
- Wreckage of 16th century ship discovered off Brazil - Mar 01, 2012
- Irish archaeologists say Spanish Armada wreck found - Aug 06, 2011
- Firm asks US court to block handover of treasure to Spain - Feb 07, 2012
- US firm appeals against $500 mn Spanish treasure handover - Jan 22, 2010
- 13,500 troops to be deployed for London Olympics - Dec 16, 2011
- Nobody cares for Pakistan's heritage, laments daily - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: 100 guns, artefacts, brass cannons, british government, channel islands, exploration company, feb 2, gold coins, golden treasure, hms, hms victory, intrusive action, london feb, lord nelsons, ministry of defence, odyssey marine exploration, predecessor, sailors, shipwreck, spokesman