World’s smoothest roller coaster ride designed on paperJuly 19th, 2010 - 6:50 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 19 (ANI): Swedish mathematicians have published new designs for what can easily be called the World’s smoothest roller coaster ride.
Using the same equations that describe how the planets orbit the sun, Hanno Essen of Royal Institute of Technology drew a series of potential roller coaster loops that have one thing in common- the force that riders would feel pushing their stomachs down into their seats stays exactly the same all the way around the loop.
The new Swedish design, would in theory smooth out these changes in force into one constant force, said Stengel.
“If you were in a car without windows and the track were perfectly smooth, you would not know that you were in a roller coaster,” the Fox News quoted Essen as saying.
“You’d just be pressed to the seat by a constant force,” she added.
This force, the centripetal force, is the same one that prevents water from falling out of a bucket swung upside-down on a string.
“Your head would feel a little lighter than your bottom,” she said, explaining that the head is closer to the center of the loop, where the centripetal force is smaller.
But he is not sure whether this uniformity could be achieved in actual built as well.
For now, the new design would remain an academic exercise said Werner Stengel who in 1975 created the first modern roller coaster loop.
“It sounds a bit boring to ride. Part of the fun of a roller coaster is being pushed around with changing forces,” he said. (ANI)
- Rollercoaster malfunction leaves 25 hanging midair - Jan 25, 2011
- 102 enthusiasts bare all to smash naked rollercoaster record - Aug 09, 2010
- Ultimo's ultimate bra test checks endurance on a roller coaster - Sep 03, 2010
- Ferrari F1 Drivers Massa And Alonso Ride World's Fastest Roller Coaster - Nov 17, 2010
- 78-year-old Pennsylvanian Male, Laden With Bounciness, Rides A Roller Coaster 90 Times In A Day - Aug 17, 2010
- Rollercoaster rides can cause ear injury - May 01, 2010
- Experience virtual roller coaster in Delhi - Jul 29, 2010
- It's tough to make Raghavan happy: Saif - Mar 19, 2012
- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom roller coaster left stranded - Jul 31, 2012
- Nicole Kidman 'feels love' for woman who carried her second child - Feb 21, 2011
- Startled to see Sky projected so villainously: Pooja Bedi - Nov 27, 2011
- Big B loves Delhi winter (Movie Snippets) - Dec 16, 2011
- No lavish house for Lady Gaga - Apr 28, 2011
- Riders Stuck In The Great American Roller Coaster Ride Rescued - Aug 11, 2009
- Squirrel banned from rollercoaster ride! - Feb 15, 2010
Tags: academic exercise, centripetal force, fox news, institute of technology, lighter, mathematicians, orbit, planets, roller coaster ride, royal institute of technology, stomachs, sun, swedish design, uniformity, werner stengel