World’s oldest man dies at 113 in JapanJune 19th, 2009 - 2:33 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, June 19 (DPA) The world’s oldest man Tomoji Tanabe died of cardiac failure in southern Japan Friday. He was 113 years old.
Tanabe was listed as the world’s oldest man by the Guinness World Records in January 2007.
He fell ill in May at his home and could not eat for three days before his death, Jiji Press said.
Tanabe was known to get up at 5.30 a.m. to read newspapers before breakfast, and for never missing his three meals a day and glass of milk in the afternoon.
He had said the key to longevity is “no drinking or smoking”.
He had lived with one of his eight children and a daughter-in-law before his death.
The new oldest Japanese man lives in western Kyoto province and is 112, while the oldest woman lives in southern Okinawa province and is 114.
Briton Henry Allingham, 113, now holds the title of the world’s oldest man. His birthday was on June 9, the BBC reported.
The number of centenarians in Japan reached a record 41,000 in October, according to government figures.
People in Japan have the longest life-expectancy in the world at 85 years.
- World's oldest man dies at 113 in Britain - Jul 18, 2009
- World's oldest man owes his longevity to 'cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women' - Jun 20, 2009
- 113 year old Japanese man is celebrating his 113th birthday today - Sep 18, 2008
- World's oldest man dies aged 114 - Apr 15, 2011
- World's oldest man dies in America at 114 - Apr 15, 2011
- US great-great-grandmother named world's oldest living person at 114 - Mar 11, 2011
- World's oldest dog dies ahead of 27 birthday - Dec 08, 2011
- 230,000 Japanese aged over 100 'missing' - Sep 11, 2010
- 114-year-old Brazilian enters Guinness record - May 19, 2011
- Allingham: The Last Survivor Of "The Battle Of Jutland" Dies At 113 - Jul 18, 2009
- 'Ciggies, whisky and wild women' key to world's oldest man's longevity - Sep 23, 2010
- 120-year-old Indian man marries a 60 year old woman - Oct 27, 2011
- What Guinness? My job is to run: 100-year-old Fauja Singh (Interview) (With images) - Jan 04, 2012
- Oldest US woman - Mary Josephine Ray dies, she was 114 years old - Mar 09, 2010
- More than 230,000 centenarians missing in Japan - Sep 11, 2010
Tags: bbc, briton, cardiac failure, centenarians, glass of milk, government figures, guinness world records, japan tokyo, japanese man, jiji press, kyoto, life expectancy, longevity, man lives, okinawa, oldest man, oldest woman, southern japan, tanabe, woman lives