Women in Iran’s ancient Burnt City outlived menJune 22nd, 2009 - 1:53 pm ICT by ANI
Tehran, June 22 (ANI): Archeological studies have found that the female inhabitants of Iran’s ancient site of Burnt City outlived the male members of their community.
Men died between the ages of 35 to 45, while women lived well into their 80s, Farzad Forouzanfar, head of the Burnt City archeology team, told Press TV.
Forouzanfar said that the area witnessed considerable population drops and that the number of the female inhabitants of the area was more than the males.
“The team also found that the remains of nearly 30,000 burials exist in Burnt City,” he added.
Demographical studies also showed that over 6,000 people lived in Burnt City. Previous research had estimated the number to stand at 5,000.
Located near the city of Zabol in Sistan-Baluchestan Province, Burnt City spans more than 300,000 hectares and dates back to 5,200 years ago.
Four civilizations have lived in the city, which was burnt down three times and not rebuilt after the last fire.
Till date, the world’s oldest animated picture, dice and backgammon set, the earliest known caraway seed and artificial eyeball have been found at the site. (ANI)
- 65 statues of human and animal figures found in Iran's Burnt City - Jun 08, 2009
- Five killed as car catches fire in Iran - Sep 11, 2010
- Plot to kill Iranian president foiled in 2007: Tehran Times - May 14, 2012
- Three die in Iran police chopper crash - Dec 24, 2011
- One ton drugs seized in Iran - Jun 24, 2012
- 5000-year-old site in Iran is as large as the Burnt City - Jun 09, 2008
- Clue to why women live longer discovered - Aug 04, 2012
- Iran threatens Israel - Jul 02, 2012
- Iran detains seven US troops - Sep 19, 2010
- Iran building 'anti-terror' fence on Pakistan border - Apr 15, 2011
- Iran hangs convicted Sunni rebel: Report - Nov 04, 2009
- Iran denies media report that it detained 7 U.S. soldiers - Sep 19, 2010
- Pentagon denies reports of US troops being captured in Iran - Sep 20, 2010
- Bomb blast at Iranian mosque kills 15 - May 29, 2009
- Marijuana grower sentenced in Sacramento, CA to federal prison - Jan 27, 2010
Tags: 80s, archeological studies, backgammon, burials, caraway seed, civilizations, community men, eyeball, hectares, inhabitants, male members, population, previous research, tehran, three times, women in iran, zabol