Women gives birth in Russian trainMay 17th, 2012 - 7:32 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 17 (IANS) A woman gave birth on a train in Russia’s Siberia region, and two interior ministry police officers helped her deliver the child.
The incident took place Wednesday night, officials from the Siberian Federal District Interior Ministry told RIA Novosti.
The conductor of the train travelling from Abakan in eastern Siberia to Moscow, announced that a pregnant 23-year-old passenger had gone into labour.
Sergei Zapletnyak, a ministry warrant officer who had earlier worked as a medical assistant, responded to the call for help.
“I have never delivered a baby, only assisted. When I learned that a woman was giving birth, I decided to take complete control of the situation at once, as the staff of the passenger train started to panic,” he said.
Zapletnyak and his colleague Dmitry Rudnov moved the woman into their compartment in order not to disturb other passengers.
Just an hour after she started going into labour, doctors took the woman and her child to hospital at the next station. The new baby is her second child.
- Robber-rapist jailed after 19 years in China - May 19, 2012
- Russian postal workers poisoned by toxic parcel - May 31, 2012
- Five killed as Russian plane makes emergency landing - Jul 11, 2011
- British soldier gives birth during Afghanistan deployment - Sep 20, 2012
- Woman gives birth to girl on Metro train (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Russian gets compensated for train rush hour problems - Sep 05, 2012
- Syrians held in Russia for poaching rare birds - Aug 09, 2012
- Medvedev holds talks with Kim Jong-il - Aug 24, 2011
- Russian sect views Putin as reincarnation of St. Paul - May 12, 2011
- Woman gives birth after lying upside down for 75 days - Mar 09, 2012
- British woman gives birth in coma - Jul 01, 2012
- Russia to release Japanese POW records - Aug 29, 2012
- Quake rocks Siberia - Feb 26, 2012
- Andhra woman delivers on road - Apr 09, 2012
- Russia to mourn Wednesday for airport blast victims - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: abakan, colleague, complete control, conductor, doctors, eastern siberia, giving birth, going into labour, interior ministry, medical assistant, moscow, new baby, passenger train, police officers, ria novosti, russia, siberia, warrant officer, wednesday night