Women find it difficult to focus ‘during that time of the month’September 25th, 2010 - 12:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept 25 (ANI): A new research from Concordia University has stated that high oestrogen levels are associated with an inability to pay attention and learn.
“Our findings, using a well-established model of learning called latent inhibition, shows conclusively that high oestrogen levels inhibit the cognitive ability in female rodents,” said Wayne Brake.
Human females have high oestrogen levels while they are ovulating. These high levels have also been shown to interfere with women’s ability to pay attention.
“The similarity between human studies and our findings suggest that we have a good model for human learning,” said first author Matthew Quinlan.
“We only observed this effect in adult female rats,” said Brake.
“This and our other findings indicate that oestrogen directly effects the brain, perhaps by interfering with brain signalling molecules. Our study helps clear up the controversy about the effects of oestrogen, the next step is to look at how this occurs.”
The findings are published in the journal Brain and Cognition. (ANI)
- Mole rat may hold key to human longevity - Jul 03, 2012
- New study sheds light on brain's inherent ability to focus on learning - Dec 09, 2010
- Our brain keeps growing well into our 20s - Sep 23, 2011
- Source of happiness may lie in your gut - Jun 13, 2012
- How oestrogen can make you smarter - Nov 18, 2010
- LEDs may help improve cognitive function after traumatic brain injury - Mar 18, 2011
- Prairie voles' social bonding offers hopes for new autism therapies - Apr 30, 2011
- One cause of cognitive decline in aging population identified - Jun 03, 2010
- Physical bouts with criminals damage memory - Mar 14, 2012
- Tobacco-derived compound prevents memory loss in Alzheimer's - Apr 28, 2011
- Autistic brains 'focus more on visual skills' - Apr 05, 2011
- Exercise more for a good brain - Jul 26, 2011
- Packaging chemical could cheat men of sex appeal - Jun 29, 2011
- Women turn smarter during ovulation - Jun 30, 2010
- Jet lag causes memory loss: Study - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,