Woman wins contest to blow up factory where her dad diedJanuary 16th, 2012 - 6:29 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 16 (IANS) A British woman won a competition to blow up a factory building where her father had died in an accident.
Sarah Griffiths, 41, pushed a button that triggered a series of explosions to demolish the Campbell’s Soup Tower in King’s Lynn, Norfolk, Sky News reported.
Griffiths, a mother-of-two, seized the chance to rid herself of the sight of the 52-year-old building where her father Mick Locke died in 1995 from severe scalding from a blast of steam.
“The tower is a constant reminder that I have been robbed of my dad. I’m a bit choked up about it because it’s a big thing for me to do and I feel very pleased to be given the chance of closure,” she said.
“I feel honoured that I have been chosen against so many other people. I hope they understand my need to do this,” she said.
Hundreds of people gathered at the site to watch the demolition.
A new complex would be built in its place that would include a hotel, leisure facilities, restaurants, a car showroom and a supermarket. It will also include industrial and office space and is expected to create about 1,000 jobs.
- Apex court slams civic officials for illegal constructions - Jun 01, 2011
- Ed Ackerman involved in a demolition standoff - Jan 25, 2012
- Demolition of 'Aarakshan' set in Bhopal upsets Jha's shooting (With Images) - May 08, 2011
- Shutdown hits life in Jharkhand, Medha Patkar booked - May 02, 2011
- Maharashtra politicos cheer Adarsh demolition order - Jan 16, 2011
- Construction at Musharraf's ancestral house stirs row - May 16, 2012
- 'Mad Men falling man' advert condemned by 9/11 families - Mar 01, 2012
- Two die of shock in Jharkhand demolition drive - Apr 17, 2011
- Violence in Bhopal demolition drive, dozens injured (Second Lead) - May 21, 2011
- China demolishes famed artist Ai Weiwei's Shanghai studio over political activism - Jan 13, 2011
- Osama's Pakistan hideout razed - Feb 27, 2012
- Sinha ends strike, Jharkhand to move court to stay demolitions (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- UK police suspect murder after woman found dead at Queen's estate - Jan 03, 2012
- Jharkhand court declines to halt demolition drive - Apr 20, 2011
- Rescued World War I tortoise needs new home - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,