Woman who sold child found - still starvingJuly 19th, 2012 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 19 (IANS) A destitute Bihar woman who went missing after selling her child to a Nepalese couple for Rs.62 has been finally traced - still starving along with her other two kids and ailing husband.
In a sad story of hunger amid plenty, Shannu Khatun, in her mid-30s, was found wandering near her house in Madanpur village in Araria district.
“She and her children were very hungry and in a bad condition when policemen spotted them,” Araria Superintendent of Police Shivdeep W. Lande told IANS.
When policemen took Shannu Khatun and her two children to her house in the village, they found her physically challenged husband Mohammad Shaheed on a cot. He too was “very hungry” and asked for food.
Lande, who had ordered a search for the woman, said police offered them food and milk.
Forced by poverty, Shannu Khatun sold her four-month-old son to a Nepalese couple at the Forbesganj railway station near the India-Nepal border, some 350 km from here, last week.
The “sale” — amid stories of Bihar’s economic recovery — created a stir in the state.
Lande said the woman has been shifted to a “short stay home”.
Several voluntary groups in India and abroad have offered to support the woman and her family.
“I was upset after Shannu Khatun disappeared when news of her plight hit the headlines,” the police officer said.
An Araria district official, Gopal Prasad, said police had handed over the family to the administration for their rehabilitation.
“For the time being, she and her children will be in a short stay home and will be provided food,” Prasad said.
She would also get a house under the Indira Awas Yojna, he added. “Now she will get the benefits of government welfare schemes.”
- Poor woman in Bihar sells child for Rs.62, cops begin probe - Jul 15, 2012
- Bihar destitute woman is missing - Jul 17, 2012
- Bihar woman missing after selling child for Rs.62 - Jul 16, 2012
- Drug overdose common way to die in showbiz: Siddharth (Movie Snippets) - Jul 15, 2012
- Industrialist faces arrest for attack on journalist - Mar 03, 2012
- Poverty-stricken woman sells infant to pay debt - Sep 04, 2012
- 10 missing girl students found pushed into flesh trade - Aug 04, 2012
- BJP legislator accused of threatening official - Feb 19, 2012
- Police rescue 25 minor girls from Bihar fair - Feb 14, 2012
- Protest against Bihar police firing - Jun 13, 2011
- Lalu Prasad gives compensation to victims of police firing - Sep 05, 2011
- Forbesganj firing: Senior Bihar cop in dock - Jul 09, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi meets victims of Bihar police firing - Jul 01, 2011
- Warrant issued for Bihar legislator's arrest - Apr 25, 2012
- Judicial panel to probe Bihar firing - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: awas, cot, economic recovery, government welfare, hunger, indira, lande, mid 30s, mohammad, plight, police officer, policemen, railway station, sad story, shaheed, short stay, stay home, superintendent, voluntary groups, welfare schemes