Woman sacked for putting too much make-upJuly 6th, 2012 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 6 (IANS) A 28-year-old woman working as a hospital cleaner in Britain says she was fired for wearing too much make-up.
Francine Siddaway wore her “trademark Egyptian-style” make-up to her interview three years ago. She also had no complaints from staff or patients, The Sun reported.
She said the Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge sacked her after the hospital contractor said she refused a “reasonable management request in the form of toning down or removal of make-up”.
Siddaway is considering legal action, and said bosses were looking for excuses to cut costs.
She said the move came after 600 staff at the hospital were told in May to take a pay cut or lose their jobs.
“I feel I’ve been victimised and treated appallingly. It is obvious why they’ve now decided they have a problem,” Siddaway was quoted as saying by The Sun.
The hospital contractor said the dress code was “designed to promote a professional appearance and comply with health and safety”, and the hospital said all staff members sign a form to acknowledge receipt of the uniform policy.
Unison, Britain’s biggest public sector trade union with more than 1.3 million members, said it would back Siddaway’s fight.
- It's fun to change looks: Kylie Minogue - Mar 05, 2012
- Case against Power Corp staff for contractor's murder - Mar 31, 2012
- London hospital to sack 500 to save 50 mn pounds - Feb 17, 2011
- Brit soldiers serving in Libya, Afghanistan could face redundancies - Apr 02, 2011
- Elle Macpherson says the secret to her good looks is make-up and genes - Jul 28, 2010
- Moss has prudish daughter - Oct 11, 2011
- Chitrangada loves 1970s style - Feb 16, 2012
- Kelly Osbourne to get rid of tattoos - Oct 07, 2010
- Beyonce loves make-up - May 07, 2012
- Hudson, the make-up artist - Jun 29, 2012
- Raymond Davis is a CIA spy, says British daily - Feb 21, 2011
- Sarah, Bristol Palin await trademark approval for their names - Feb 05, 2011
- Christina Aguilera flaunts ample cleavage at her clothing line launch - Feb 03, 2011
- Thatcher held secret meetings with Indian guru - Jan 29, 2011
- In-debt Fergie's wasteful spending spree - Aug 17, 2010
Tags: cambridge, dress code, egyptian style, health and safety, jobs, london, management request, old woman, professional appearance, public sector trade union, receipt, s hospital, sector trade, staff members, sun, uniform policy, unison