Woman rides wheelchair over two miles to kill herselfFebruary 26th, 2012 - 1:05 am ICT by IANS
London, Feb 25 (IANS) A British woman having multiple sclerosis rode her wheelchair over two miles to throw herself into a canal after she failed to persuade her sister to take her to a euthanasia clinic.
Carol Hutchins wanted her sister to get her to the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland so that she could end her life. When her sister refused to pay for her flight to the Zurich clinic, she rode in her wheelchair for two miles to throw herself in a canal, the Daily Mail reported.
The 53-year-old had tried to throw herself into the same canal, in Reading, Berkshire, the day before her death, the inquest was told. However, a mechanism in her wheelchair had jammed, making her unable to raise the seat high enough to pull herself over the fence and into the water.
That failed attempt had made her so distraught that she returned home in tears, a coroner’s court in Windsor, Berkshire, was told.
Hutchins, after fixing the faulty mechanism, returned to the Kennet and Avon Canal in southern England the following day. She waited until workmen, who were cleaning graffiti nearby, went on a break before trying again.
Despite being paralysed from the waist down, Hutchins had enough strength to pull herself up over the fence and into the canal.
On return from their break, the workers found Hutchins’s body face down in the water. She was pronounced dead shortly after she was taken to hospital.
- Murdered Brit Indian teen's family says void has been created in their lives - Jan 21, 2010
- Aruna Shanbaug will live: Supreme Court (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2011
- Hugh Grant dreads turning 50 - Sep 02, 2010
- Supreme Court clarifies on active, passive euthanasia - Mar 07, 2011
- Let Aruna Shanbaug go, say Mumbaikars - Mar 07, 2011
- Kim laughs off white powder incident - Mar 24, 2012
- Supreme Court to examine mercy killing plea - Jan 24, 2011
- Paralympics: Chinese fencers shine, Australian swimmer wins sixth gold - Sep 05, 2012
- Elderly father dies while saving drowning daughter - Jul 16, 2011
- Fergie to launch 2nd fragrance with Avon - Apr 08, 2011
- WWE Raw: Kelly Kelly vs Brie Bella - May 18, 2011
- Medical fraternity: Aruna Shanbaug has right to live (Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- Slain Brit-Indian girl's ex-boyfriend charged for her murder - Jan 24, 2010
- Shane Warne, Liz Hurley 'to keep their romance low-profile' - Feb 09, 2011
- Indian-origin teenager found dead in canal - Jan 27, 2009
Tags: british woman, carol hutchins, coroner, daily mail, dignitas clinic, euthanasia, graffiti, inquest, kennet and avon, kennet and avon canal, london feb, multiple sclerosis, paralysed, reading berkshire, southern england, waist down, wheelchair, windsor berkshire, workmen, zurich