Woman panchayat leader shares experience with ObamaNovember 9th, 2010 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 9 (IANS) The interaction may have lasted just a few minutes, but for Sharmi Bai, panchayat leader of Abu Road block, in Sirohi district of Rajasthan, interacting with US President Barack Obama was an experience of a lifetime.
“Work that was earlier not done in five years, is now being done in five months,” she told Obama when he visited her stall at an expo held at Mumbai’s St. Xavier’s College Sunday.
Sharing her experience after being re-elected this year after having served a term of five years, Sharmi Bai said that she was working with renewed vigour, and was proud to break the myth that women cannot govern.
Sharmi Bai was invited to the stall set up by non-governmental organisation (NGO) Hunger Project.
“We were invited to highlight the critical role played by women panchayat leaders in bringing local governments closer to the people,” Rita Sarin, country director of Hunger Project, India told IANS Tuesday.
“When the president visited our booth, I told him about Sharmi’s efforts in ensuring education of girl children in her panchayat,” she said, adding that Obama looked impressed on hearing Sharmi Bai’s efforts.
- Meeting Obama was proud experience for woman panchayat leader (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Meeting Obama was memorable experience for woman panchayat leader (Second Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Farming, business top US global agenda for women: Envoy - Jul 22, 2011
- Festive mood in Rajasthan village that spoke to Obama - Nov 07, 2010
- 'India making progress on women's political empowerment' - Mar 17, 2012
- Inviting platforms for extra Diwali bucks - Oct 23, 2011
- Meeting Obama filled me with pride: Mallika Sherawat - Dec 14, 2011
- Hillary meets victims of human trafficking in Kolkata (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Pakistani designers take back bagfuls of business - and memories - Apr 16, 2012
- Obama gets sneak-peek into India's citizen engagement programmes - Nov 07, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh CM says no forced sterilizations - Feb 18, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi meets assaulted Uttar Pradesh girl (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Runaway bride awarded for revolting against lack of loo - Feb 10, 2012
- Gurgaon doctor offers free cancer treatment (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Kernataka's women panchayat leaders unite for good governance - May 27, 2009
Tags: abu road, barack obama, country director, critical role, expo, five months, girl children, governmental organisation, hunger project, lifetime work, local governments, myth, New Delhi, ngo, project india, rita, s college, sarin, st xavier, vigour