Woman, locked up by mother for 7 years, rescuedJune 14th, 2011 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 14 (1ANS) A young woman, who had been kept locked up in a room for almost seven years by her mother, was rescued in the Bihar capital in a state of depression and malnutrition, police said Tuesday.
In an incident similar to the rescue of a brother and sister in a posh colony in Patna last month, Priyanka Kumari, 28, was rescued by an NGO Prayas with the help of police here Tuesday afternoon.
She has been admitted to a hospital.
According to police, Priyanka developed depression after she failed in her Class 10 examination about 14 years ago. Later, her health condition deteriorated even after treatment. Her mother Malti Devi then locked her up in a room in her home, a police official said.
“Priyanka was locked in a room for the last seven years by her mother after her mental illness persisted despite initial treatment,” the official said.
Her father Rajkumar Yadav admitted to the police that Priyanka was in a state of acute depression and she was mistreated by her mother.
“I was helpless to rescue her,” he said.
Police said this was the second such case in Patna.
Last month, Babu, 32, and his sister Sujata, 28, were rescued from their Shivpuri home near S.K. Puri in Patna by Prayas with the help of the police.
Suman Lal, head of Prayas, who helped in the rescue, said it was shocking that a young woman was forcibly locked up in a room for years.
The rescue of the Noida sisters - Anuradha Behl, 41, and Sonali Behl, 38 - from their home under similar situation had made big news some weeks back.
The two well-educated sisters, daughters of a retired army officer, had locked themselves up in their home for over seven months after the death of their parents.
They were finally rescued by the police and the residents welfare association and admitted to hospital.
Anuradha later died due to multiple organ failure following extreme malnutrition while Sonali continued to be under treatment.
- Two Patna siblings rescued from 2-year lock-in - May 17, 2011
- Noida sisters had no financial problems: Police - Apr 14, 2011
- One rescued Noida sister dies, brother cites depression (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Two sisters lock themselves up for 7 months, rescued - Apr 12, 2011
- Older of rescued Noida sisters dies, younger deteriorates (Third Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- NCW orders inquiry into Noida sisters case - Apr 13, 2011
- Psychologists blame social apathy for sisters' locked-in stay - Apr 12, 2011
- Older of rescued Noida sisters dies, enquiry ordered (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Lesbian snaps ties with husband for lover - Dec 13, 2010
- Rescued Noida woman dies in hospital - Apr 13, 2011
- Woman arrested for torturing six-year-old son - Mar 11, 2012
- Woman sets herself, daughter on fire - Dec 31, 2011
- Starving sisters locked for months, rescued in Delhi - Jun 16, 2012
- When a rural health centre works, it works wonders (Feature) - Oct 20, 2011
- Woman burns herself after husband's death, dies - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: acute depression, army officer, behl, brother and sister, health condition, initial treatment, kumari, lal, malnutrition, mental illness, ngo, organ failure, police official, prayas, puri, seven months, sonali, state of depression, tuesday afternoon, welfare association