Woman dies of bird flu in ChinaJanuary 19th, 2009 - 12:32 pm ICT by IANS
Jinan (China), Jan 19 (Xinhua) A woman has died of bird flu in east China’s Shandong province, the second death caused by avian influenza in the country this year, an official has said.The 27-year-old woman surnamed Zhang, who lived here, fell ill Jan 5 and went to hospital when her condition worsened, said an official of the provincial health department.
She died Saturday evening.
The national disease prevention and control centre Sunday confirmed that she was infected with the H5N1 strain of avian influenza.
People who came in contact with Zhang have been kept under observation, but no one was found to be infected.
The new case had been reported to the World Health Organisation.
A 19-year-old woman bird flu patient named Huang Yanqing died in Beijing Jan 5.
In the neighbouring Shanxi Province, a two-year-old girl surnamed Peng was confirmed to be infected with the same virus Saturday.
She is in critical condition, local health officials said Sunday.
The 67 people who had close contact with the girl have been under kept observation. One was found to be infected.
- Chinese woman dies of bird flu - Jun 05, 2010
- Chinese girl infected with bird flu: official - Jan 18, 2009
- China reports fifth bird flu death in 2009 - Jan 27, 2009
- Chinese man dies of bird flu - Dec 31, 2011
- Man dies of bird flu in China - Jan 23, 2012
- Now, GM chickens that don't spread bird flu - Jan 14, 2011
- Climate change could push up risk of avian flu - Aug 30, 2012
- Crows are dying in Bihar from bird flu - Feb 18, 2012
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- China bird flu death toll reaches four - Jan 24, 2009
- Bihar SOS to centre on tackling bird flu - Mar 09, 2012
- Student dies of bird flu in China - Jan 20, 2009
- Bird flu resurfaces in Tripura - Jan 25, 2012
- La Nina may trigger flu pandemics: Study - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: bird flu, close contact, critical condition, disease prevention, east china, health department, health officials, influenza, jan 19, jinan china, local health, new case, old woman, provincial health, saturday evening, second death, shandong province, world health organisation, xinhua, yanqing