Witness Mars500 crew landing on Red planet on Feb 14January 28th, 2011 - 5:41 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 28 (ANI): Members of the media have been given permission to witness the Mars500 crew land on the Red planet on February 14.
Mars500 was one of the most gruelling simulation for Mars landing. It consists of six volunteers locked inside for a total of 520 days, the time it would take to fly to Mars and back.
Members of the news media can apply now to observe the action from TsUP on the day.
The media programme will begin at 12:00 Moscow time (10:00 CET), with short presentations from IBMP and ESA’s Directorate of Human Spaceflight. ESA speakers will include Martin Zell, Head of ISS Utilisation Department for the Directorate, Mars500 Project Manager Jennifer Ngo-Ahn, and veteran astronaut Christer Fuglesang, Head of the Directorate’s Science and Application Division.
The first footsteps are scheduled to take place around 13:00 Moscow time (11:00 CET).
Preparations for this event will begin on 1 February, when the Mars500 ’spacecraft’ docks with a Mars lander already in orbit. Half the crew will then transfer to the lander -Russian commander Alexey Sitev, Europe’s Diego Urbina and China’s Wang Yue- to prepare for Mars landing on 12 February. (ANI)
- Mars probe mission 'reaches' Red Planet - Feb 12, 2011
- Man is now ready to go to Mars - Jan 22, 2011
- Space crew to simulate walking on Mars in Feb - Jan 24, 2011
- Simulated Mars mission crew returns to 'Earth' - Nov 04, 2011
- Mars astronauts may be risking DNA damage - Apr 23, 2012
- Scientists say simulated Mars mission in Moscow hangar is no joke - Jun 04, 2010
- Simulated manned flight to Mars completed - Nov 04, 2011
- Russia shortlists 11 for Mars mission simulation - Mar 02, 2010
- Mars-500 crew 'lands' on Red Planet during simulation - Feb 13, 2011
- Three ISS crew to return to earth - Mar 29, 2012
- Mars on Earth mission moves one step closer to launch - Nov 12, 2008
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Russia wants to join Mars mission - Oct 16, 2011
- Space Shuttle Discovery returns to Earth after successful mission - Sep 12, 2009
- Russia, Europe plan joint mission to Jupiter - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: ahn, alexey, application division, docks, feb 14, footsteps, ibmp, jan 28, mars lander, mars landing, mars500, moscow time, ngo, red planet, russian commander, spacecraft, tsup, urbina, veteran astronaut, zell