Winter lows increase infections for cancer patientsJanuary 13th, 2009 - 10:42 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 13 (IANS) In the peak of winter, those suffering from cancer of the immune system are also fighting another battle - that against infections - as it is difficult for them to stand the weather change and their chances of being infected increase 15-20 percent, doctors say.”Due to weak immune system those suffering from some types of cancers are more prone to infections that increases at the rate of 15-20 percent during winter,” Max Healthcare oncologist Amit Bhargava said.
“Cancer treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy weaken the immune system which helps fight off infections; as a result, these cancer patients are at a higher risk for getting or developing flu that can cause serious illness,” he added.
Cancer of the immune system also increases the chances of low immunity in cancer patients.
Artemis Health Institutes head oncologist Ashok Vaid told IANS that people suffering from cancer of the immune system like leukaemia (blood cancer) are more prone to infections than people suffering from any other cancer.
Apollo Indraprastha Hospital’s senior consultant surgical oncologist Feroz Pasha said that the white blood cells (WBCs) that help the body to defend itself against infections and foreign materials are fewer in the bodies of blood cancer patients - resulting in a weak immune system.
“They should use immune-booster supplements during their treatment and should keep a track of their WBCs as they are more prone to get chest infections,” Pasha explained.
Other problems that this season brings for cancer patients are viral infections and respiratory problems.
“Once a virus attacks a cancer patient he should start taking precautions or else chances of getting bacterial infection increase and this could worsen the situation further,” Vaid said.
“Also one should always check for symptoms of flu which can be high fever, severe headaches, muscle aches and pains, extreme tiredness, cough and chest discomfort or sore throat,” he added.
People with cancer are also at higher risk of having bone complications.
“Cancer and cancer treatments may also increase the risk of bone complications. For this they should take vitamin D in plenty and sunshine is one of the best sources of vitamin D,” Bhargava explained.
He said that the patient should spend at least 10 to 15 minutes in the sun at least twice a week. Also he should eat more cheese and yogurt as they contain vitamin D.
Cancer treatments such as radiation therapy may result in skin problems as well.
“Keeping the skin hydrated and healthy is important. Avoiding long baths or showers, using gentle soaps, applying moisturizing lotions, drinking a lot of water can also help in protecting the skin during winter,” Bhargava said.
He, however, cautioned that it is always advisable to consult a doctor before undertaking any of these measures.
- Low immunity increases chances of infection in cancer patients - Dec 09, 2008
- Cancer patients hope for children - with fertility preservation (Feature) - Mar 20, 2012
- Vitamin D protects against viral infections - May 01, 2012
- India witnessing rise in pancreatic cancer, say doctors - Oct 06, 2011
- Awareness key to beating breast cancer, say experts (Feb 4 is World Cancer Day) - Feb 03, 2012
- Vigilance against skin cancer may lead to vitamin D deficiency - Oct 19, 2010
- Heart patients watch out, winter can be deadly - Dec 19, 2010
- Wake-up call on breast cancer in India (Feature) - Oct 28, 2010
- Widely used arthritis pill shows promise against skin cancer - Dec 03, 2010
- Immune deficiency main reason for infant mortality: Experts - Mar 05, 2011
- Vitamin D is 'nature's antibiotic' - Nov 24, 2009
- Heart transplant patients at risk for skin cancers - Jul 01, 2011
- Smoking, exercise influence Vitamin E's effect on pneumonia risk - Feb 18, 2011
- Coffee can cure hepatitis C - Jun 08, 2011
- Sex hormone protects women from cardio risks - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: amit bhargava, blood cancer, cancer patient, cancer patients, chest discomfort, chest infections, extreme tiredness, foreign materials, health institutes, high fever, immune booster, indraprastha, radiation therapy, severe headaches, surgical oncologist, symptoms of flu, types of cancers, weather change, white blood cells, winter lows