Winning three at Beijing, US swimmer Phelps now has a record 9 Olympic goldsAugust 13th, 2008 - 10:55 am ICT by ANI
Beijing , Aug 13 (ANI): Michael Phelps, the US swimming sensation, became the fourth man to win a record nine Olympic gold medals when he cruised to victory in the men’’s 200m freestyle final here last evening.
Phelps claimed his third gold at the Beijing Games with the sort of ease that suggests his quest for an unprecedented eight gold medals remains right on track, reported the Chinese news agency Xinhua.
He finished more than a body length ahead of South Korea ‘’s Park Taehwan, smashing his own world record by .90 seconds to finish in 1 minute, 42.96 seconds.
It was Phelps” ninth Olympic gold overall, allowing him to join an elite club with US swimming great Mark Spitz, American track and field star Carl Lewis, former Soviet gymnast Larissa Latynina and Finnish runner Paavo Nurmi for the most gold medals all-time at the Games.
On achieving the feat, the 23-year-old American said: To be tied for the most Olympic gold for a long time with those names in Olympic history, it is a pretty amazing accomplishment. It is definitely an honour.
His fellow countryman Aaron Peirsol also broke the world record on his way to triumph in the men’’s 100m backstroke, and Natalie Coughlin defended the gold she won four years ago in Athens in the women’’s 100-meter backstroke. (ANI)
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Phelps swims to ninth gold, US and China grab four golds each - Aug 12, 2008
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Aaron Peirsol defeats Phelps in 100-meter backstroke - May 17, 2009
- China, US to battle it out for top position in London - Jul 22, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Japan aims for top five finish at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: 100m backstroke, aaron peirsol, carl lewis, elite club, fellow countryman, field star, fourth man, larissa latynina, mark spitz, meter backstroke, michael phelps, natalie coughlin, nurmi, olympic gold medals, olympic golds, olympic history, park taehwan, soviet gymnast, us swimmer, us swimming