Will the world end Dec 21?June 30th, 2012 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 30 (IANS) We only have a few months left to live because the world will end Dec 21, 2012, according to another Mayan inscription discovered by archaeologists.
It is the second discovery of a Mayan tablet predicting doom and gloom on that date. The latest carving was found in a staircase in Guatemala, mirror.co.uk reported Saturday.
Mayan prophecies about the end of time have sparked wild internet speculation about how it will happen - from giant asteroid strikes or black holes swallowing us up to being devoured by ancient gods.
Of course, if the world really is going to end this winter, then it means Andy Murray has only one more chance of winning Wimbledon and Manchester City will go to eternity as Premier League champions, a thought far more horrifying for Manchester United fans than Armageddon itself.
And perhaps you shouldn’t book Christmas parties for any days after Dec 22, a Friday.
The 1,300-year-old inscription is said to be the most significant find in decades. In it there is a reference to “the end”.
But excavation chief Marcello Canuto said: “This text talks about political history rather than prophecy.”
And experts claim Mayan predictions refer to the start of a new era rather than the end of time.
The Mayan script, also known as Maya glyphs or Maya hieroglyphs, is the writing system of the Maya civilization of Mesoamerica.
- 'Mayan text on world's end is about political history' - Jun 29, 2012
- Hotels get booked for end of Mayan era events - Aug 28, 2012
- 'Mayan texts doesn't predict end of world in 2012' - Jul 08, 2010
- Oldest-known Mayan calendar found - May 11, 2012
- Ancient Mayans first domesticated turkey - Aug 09, 2012
- New book questions the veracity of Apocalypse Calendar - Oct 08, 2010
- 'Oldest Mayan calendar offers no hint of world's end' - May 11, 2012
- Mayan doomsday prophecy not true: British expert - Dec 02, 2011
- Advanced technique being used to decipher Maya glyphs - May 31, 2010
- 10 failed doomsday prophecies - Nov 09, 2009
- Scientists debunk six 2012 end-of-the-world myths - Nov 07, 2009
- 2012 doomsday prophecy false, says Canadian archeologist - Nov 17, 2009
- Mayans did not predict end of world in 2012: expert - Apr 12, 2010
- Millennium-old sarcophagus could unravel mystery of Mayan civilisation - Jan 29, 2010
- NASA trains astronauts to land on asteroid - May 13, 2012
Tags: ancient gods, andy murray, archaeologists, asteroid strikes, black holes, canuto, christmas parties, dec 21 2012, doom and gloom, excavation, hieroglyphs, manchester city, manchester united, marcello, maya civilization, maya glyphs, mayan prophecies, political history, wimbledon, writing system