Will ensure transparency in adoption process: TirathMarch 23rd, 2011 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 23 (IANS) Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath Wednesday said better transparency will be ensured in the child adoption process by bringing legal and social information in the public domain.
“The process of adoption is on its way to greater transparency as the ministry is now trying to bring the legal and social information in the public domain. The process would be data-based, and will also be made available on the internet,” Tirath said at the inauguration of the two-day meet of the adoption agencies organised by Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA).
“The ministry knows that there is a long waiting list of prospective parents willing to adopt children. And we are also trying to provide a home to children found at railway stations, streets, or those who have lost their parents,” she added.
CARA had launched a web-based information management system in February that linked various adoption agencies across the country, ensuring more transparency in the process.
“We want to bring in district-wise child welfare committees in the process. The children at shelter homes would also be ensured a better future in the process,” Tirath said.
According to CARA, 5,693 children were adopted in the country, while 593 were adopted by foreign parents during 2010.
- Online platform for child adoption launched - Feb 14, 2011
- Over 2,000 Indian kids adopted internationally - Aug 18, 2011
- Krishna Tirath to inaugurate annual meet of adoption agencies - Mar 22, 2011
- Fewer foreigners adopting in India, as Indians step in - Nov 23, 2011
- Adoption guidelines revised in 2011: Minister - Aug 17, 2012
- Foreigners prefer to adopt special-needs children - Sep 14, 2011
- US tops list of adoptions from India - Aug 09, 2010
- Activists demand nutrition security for all children - Nov 15, 2011
- WCD Ministry committed towards socio-economic empowerment of women - Mar 08, 2011
- 11 childrens' courts to come up in Delhi - Dec 30, 2010
- Adoptions on rise - and many want a girl! - Mar 12, 2011
- Beijing move to end street begging by children - Feb 11, 2012
- Duped by Indian adoption agency, US family cautions couples - May 23, 2010
- Tirath to help Falak, seeks action against traffickers (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- China sets up database of orphans - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: adoption agencies, adoption resource, better future, child adoption, child development, child welfare, committees, development minister, inauguration, information management system, krishna, New Delhi, prospective parents, public domain, railway stations, transparency, waiting list, web based information, wise child