Wikipedia to shut for 24 hours, youngsters unaffectedJanuary 17th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 17 (IANS) The Wikipedia, popular community-edited online encyclopedia, may have decided to shut down its English version for 24 hours to garner support against the proposed US anti-piracy legislation, but the youngsters in the capital think the action will not solve the purpose.
The internet users will be unable to access Wikipedia from midnight (US Eastern Standard Time). In India, the page will black out after 10.30 a.m. Wednesday.
“This is just a token of protest to show solidarity with those who are against the US anti-piracy law. However, this will not help in the raging debate. Had the operation been shut for a week or something, it could have rallied people behind the movement,” a Delhi-based journalist said.
The Wikipedia page will only display information about the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act and the Protect Intellectual Property Act. It will urge its readers to contact their local US congressman to vote against the bills.
“Shutting down operation for a day will not attract the desired attention to set the ball rolling. One day will not make any difference. Had it been for longer days, it would have affected Wikipedia user like me,” said 25-year old Shikha Dimri.
“This is certainly not going to help but the US anti-piracy law is like a censorship. The United States is trying to control the media. In Canada, there are large numbers of Wikipedia readers but closing the website for 24 hours will hardly have impact on the movement against the law,” said a 21-year-old Canadian tourist.
The law, SOPA, which is being considered by the Senators of the House of Representatives, aims at stopping the online sales of priated US movies, music and other entertainment goods.
- Wikipedia shuts for 24 hours - Jan 18, 2012
- Wikipedia says blackout was a success - Jan 19, 2012
- Wikipedia, Google join anti-piracy bill protest (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Wikipedia to shut down website for 24 hours - Jan 17, 2012
- Anti-piracy bills shelved by US Congress - Jan 21, 2012
- Russian Wikipedia protests censorship plans - Jul 10, 2012
- Maps on Wikipedia depict people's view: Founder - Nov 18, 2011
- Pakistan blocks YouTube over Prophet cartoon row - May 20, 2010
- Five reasons why India can't censor the Internet (Comment) - Dec 07, 2011
- Piracy is like an unwanted guest: Karan Johar - Dec 27, 2011
- Want to combat piracy? Go for John Doe order - May 25, 2012
- AACT Cracks Down North India's Piracy Hubs - Oct 23, 2010
- Is Wikipedia down? - Mar 25, 2010
- Russian parliament approves internet blacklist bill - Jul 12, 2012
- www.msn.com is down - Mar 26, 2010
Tags: anti piracy law, canadian tourist, censorship, congressman, eastern standard time, entertainment goods, house of representatives, internet users, journalist, large numbers, New Delhi, property act, senators, shikha, solidarity, sopa, time in india, token, wikipedia, youngsters