Why walking flat-footed hurts habitual high-heel wearersJuly 16th, 2010 - 1:18 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 16 (ANI): One would think wearing a pair of high-heeled Jimmy Choos was painful for your ankles, but many a time, habitual stiletto wearers feel discomfort while walking flat footed.
In a study, Marco Narici from Manchester Metropolitan University and Robert Csapo, from the University of Vienna, Austria, compared two groups of women - one regular high-heel wearers and another who didn’t.
Csapo and Olivier Seynnes, another researcher, then compared the muscle fibre length in the women’s calf muscles.
The results revealed that the high heel wearers’ muscle fibres were 13 percent shorter than those of the women who wore flat shoes.
Narici explains that when you place the muscle in a shorter position, the fibres become shorter.
However, by shortening the fibres, the muscles would have to contract more to shorten by the same length, and if this was the case the high heel fans’ calf muscles could no longer function optimally and thus would produce less force than the flat shoe wearer’s calf muscles.
Also, the high heel fans’ tendons were much thicker and stiffer than the flat shoe wearers.
The Achilles’ tendon compensates for the shortened muscle fibres in the calf muscle, allowing the fashion addicts’ calf muscles to function optimally as they walk, but causing discomfort when walking on flat feet because the tendon cannot stretch sufficiently.
Narici suggests stretching exercises regularly to avoid the soreness when women kick off their high heels.
The study is published in the Journal of Experimental Biology. (ANI)
- High heels could be bad for your health - Jan 28, 2012
- Swapping heels for flats can damage calves - Jul 17, 2010
- Stilettoes 'make your legs more toned' - Feb 02, 2011
- Pretty shoes can create ugly feet for women - May 23, 2011
- Watch your step - with high heels - May 20, 2010
- High heels injure over 3 million women - Nov 07, 2010
- High heels may lead to joint degeneration, knee osteoarthritis - Aug 03, 2010
- People more comfortable running than walking - Jan 06, 2012
- High heels results in injuries - Nov 07, 2010
- Pregnant women should avoid wearing high heels, say experts - Jun 15, 2010
- Pregnant women can wear sky-high heels: Experts - Feb 10, 2011
- 'Killer high heels' have injured 3mn women! - Nov 06, 2010
- Shoes With Heels Of 9-Inches, Titled 'Sky Heel', To Emerge In The Market Soon - Nov 16, 2010
- She found this boyfriend a mama's boy! - Nov 25, 2011
- Romanian minister slammed for gifting high-heeled shoes to flood victims - Jul 14, 2010
Tags: achilles tendon, ankles, calf muscle, calf muscles, flat feet, flat shoes, high heel, high heels, jimmy choos, journal of experimental biology, manchester metropolitan university, many a time, muscle fibre, muscle fibres, olivier, stiletto, stretching exercises, tendons, university of vienna, vienna austria